PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I received some assorted tobaccos from shantiques and hie free pipe program. There is his thread that surfaces from time to time; and I listed out all of the generous samples that I received. Some came in baggies, some in tins, some in foil pouches, and some in cardboard tubes. They are all now in jars with little labels, so I don't have much more than names.
I had one of these tonight that was really good. I loaded up my bulldog with Villager 1888 and sat outside reading sherlock holmes' a study in scarlett. It seemed appropriate. Anyway, the Villager 1888 was perfect, and I would like to learn more about it; as well as other people's impressions. I don't even know if this is still being made but it is one that I definitely want to stock up on.
Anyone know about Villager 1888?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Villiger 1888 is a series of tobaccos named with time of day. They went OOP three years ago, sorry, but I also think they're good (esp. Late Night).

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
A series named after a time of day... I wonder which one I have? This one has latakia and is a little bit floral.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It sounds like it might be the Early Day, except I detect zero floral note. Herby, slightly sweet incense-y, but no floral. I love Early Day, and bought 20 tins of it while the gettin' was good. There is good news, though. Being a Stokkebye product, and a more-or-less duplicate line, there has GOT to be something from the Stokkebye bulk line, or the Newminster line, that is the exact same product. I'd bet money on it.
EDIT: You must be talking about Early Day; I looked up the Mid-Day and Late Night, and they are both blechy aros with no Latakia in them. (No wonder I didn't like those two.)

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
It must be early day:
Early Day

Mature golden Virginias blended with Oriental leaf and Latakia from the Balkan region. The rich share of Latakia makes this blend a true English classic with the characteristic smoky room note. A brilliant way to start the day.
The after dinner sounds like it may be good:
After Dinner

A flake tobacco made from flue-cured Virginia and aromatic Burley, spiced with Louisiana Perique. The blend has a smooth, complex tobacco taste with an aroma associated with traditional Baii/Dutch tobaccos.

The Villager 1888 cigars were the worst cigar in the world. The Briary could not even give them away with free umbrellas on a rainy day. The pipe blends just never caught on either. Marketing, pricing, taste tests, they just never did well, and now the brand is dead. I am trying to help The briary rid themselves of these blends, because Skip said he wouldn't buy anymore tinned blends until he made shelf space, and he has a whole freakin shelf of this discontinued line of pipe tobaccos.
The aromatic Mid-Day is pretty darned good, much better than any bulk offerings in the jars. It actually taste good as well as smells good. Cocktail hour is pretty good also. It was initially topped with a liquor, but by now with none having been produced in over a decade, all of the liquor has dissipated, leaving a nice coin flake Virginia that is rather tasty now.
I didn't care for the Early Morning blend. It was too light on the latakia and condiment leaf to be a very good... it just didn't suit me. Late Night and After Dinner, blech. Poor attempts for my taste.
All in all, the aromatic is worth a shot for someone who already likes aromatics. It probably won't convert anyone though. Overall, there is a reason no one bought this brand or line or whatever. it just wasn't that good, with so many great tobaccos to chose from out there. Over processed, all topped, all just so so. It wasn't as bad as their cigars, but tagging themself to those nasty cigars by name was about the worst business decision ever.
I have to wonder about what is going on with Peter Stokkebye as a company. Why try to break out into so many companies like Newminster and Villager 1888, and?.. there are a few more I think.

After Dinner

A flake tobacco made from flue-cured Virginia and aromatic Burley, spiced with Louisiana Perique. The blend has a smooth, complex tobacco taste with an aroma associated with traditional Baii/Dutch tobaccos.
What I don't "get" with this one is... why the heck would you blend tasty Virginias with tasty perique and then cover the taste with crap?

Same goes with Greg's choices to do this recently with SixPenis and Vagina Cream. Why add the fake flavors? Yeh yeh yeh, everyone on here likes them but me. I get it. I am the odd man out, ha ha. Maybe I am just not as refined a connoisseur. To make sure I am clear, they are not terrible, just... not my cup of tea. I still think he knows a thing or two about latakia though. :wink:
*Maintaining my forum identity as the forum dumbass, ha ha. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.