Very cool pipe - How much would you offer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Ran across this a few minutes ago

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trevor-Talbert-Halloween-Pipe-Birds-Eye-Blood-Red-Stem-/161347805318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2591142086

Listed for 3k with best offer.

How much would you offer for this pipe?

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I don't know maybe 500? Haha! Just kidding. It is a great looking pipe. Rather store baccy right now. Buy the pipe later.

Jan 8, 2013
Talbert pipes go for quite a bit. Not sure about 3k, someone around here knows better than I do, but they aren't cheap. If cash were no issue, I would bid pretty good on it.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Trevor's Halloween pipes are often in the 2-3k range and showcase some of his most involved and time consuming work. I would gladly pay Trevor's asking price for one of his Halloweens that did it for me, such as the 2012 still represented on his site. I am not sure what the one in question sold for originally.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
If I had that kind of disposable income I would certainly consider it. I think the seller is using a "skimming" marketing approach where you at first target the least price sensitive buyers then reduce your price via the "make offer"button or eventually lower your selling price. He has nothing to lose.

May 31, 2012
I made a lowball offer on a Castello a while back,

he dropped $40 off...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castello-Old-Antiquari-Sandblast-Featherweight-Pipe-/151267982045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2338463add

...it's still for sale, after 7 offers.
...by looking at the feedback, it appears that awesome $1,800 Kharlamov zipper pipe sold to an enthusiast in France.
I would love to have this Halloween Talbert...

hal-croglin1.jpg

hal-croglin4.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Let me light up my Yello-Bole Checker and think about it a while.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
While I caan appreciate the artistry and work that goes into a pipe like that I would not be a buyer. I am a traditionalist when it comes to the pipes I buy and only purchase classic shapes. Pipes like that are just not my thing. I want my pipes to look like a pipe and not a work of art, call me a fuddy duddy but I like what I like.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
fuddy duddy,good to see you back, nkourilo, do what your heart tells to do, like it? buy it.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Ahhh, the Croglin Vampire! Thanks for that little trip down memory lane, mrlowercase! I think that was one of the last Halloween pipes I made in the states prior to moving to France, maybe 2001-ish IIRC. It wasn't nearly as wild in shape or design as many of the other Halloweens, but I wanted to let the natural grain of the wood shine through with that one. I'd gotten hold of a small crate of seriously old Algerian long blocks, meant for Canadians and such. That stock produced some of the best smoking & tasting pipes that I've experienced, but they were weird as hell to look at - Not the usual grain arrangements at all, and they sandblasted *phenomenally*. It was practically possible to sculpt the pipes through blasting, they produced such radically deep and craggy surfaces. So, I decided to use one for a Halloween and really go all-out with the blasting. I kept the shape simple and conventional in that instance because I wanted the sandblasting itself to be the "star" of the show.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
I would show respect and curiosity towards things I don't appreciate too much, maybe $50. I see a lot of efforts there but the job is simply not right to me. No power, no neat curves and intensive surfaces. Nothing but soft, empty and unbalanced.
When a carver decide to work as an artist or a designer rather than artisan, usually horrible bad taste would follow. This also works for Anne Julie ...

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I would pay in compliments only from an artistic perspective. I would not pay his asking price, as I am not a collector of artistic pipes.

May 31, 2012
Trever,

that's an incredible pipe, thanks for the background story!

I'd love to see the others from that batch.
I'd gotten hold of a small crate of seriously old Algerian long blocks, meant for Canadians and such. That stock produced some of the best smoking & tasting pipes that I've experienced, but they were weird as hell to look at - Not the usual grain arrangements at all, and they sandblasted *phenomenally*. It was practically possible to sculpt the pipes through blasting, they produced such radically deep and craggy surfaces....
I've very much enjoyed your how to read your sandblast and other writings on the topic --- if you happen to bounce back in here, could you talk a little about "branch root" or other oddities and intricacies of the arcane blasting arts?

...this thread briefly mentions the "branch root" wood,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/what-would-your-dream-blast-sandblasted-pipe-look-like

...and it's always intrigued me because they look so wild.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Halfy has an interesting concept of showing "respect" if he'd offer $50 for someone's $3000 pipe... But in any case, different strokes and all. Given that I've made a 16 year fulltime career out of making artistic pipes, clearly there is someone out there who enjoys my aesthetic sense! :D
I've very much enjoyed your how to read your sandblast and other writings on the topic --- if you happen to bounce back in here, could you talk a little about "branch root" or other oddities and intricacies of the arcane blasting arts?

...this thread briefly mentions the "branch root" wood,
It's interesting that he used that term because that's not what I'd have thought of as branch wood, it's more deep burl wood. Typically the linear grain is strongest in the outer part of the briar burl, thus plateau, and it gets weaker and starts to vanish as you go inwards. You still have age rings, just not the flow-through grain of the outer parts. It makes for excellent blasting because it's the "up and down" grain that resists the blasting media most. When you have a chunk of wood where the grain is very loose or open, you can normally get some really cool blasting effects out of it. There's a Ligne Bretagne on my site right now that's a good example of this - rather than being stacked rings or such, it's covered in thin curly lines of age rings, all swirling around. Without the flame grain lines to muddy up the surface, the age ring patterns can really stand out.

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
I should have added in my reply - if I think of "branch wood", what I think of are the occasional sections in briar where there is literally a small branch or rootlet growing out of the burl in that spot. When cut and sanded smooth and/or blasted, what you get is a big round swirl of grain where all the rings have deformed around the growing portion of the branch. It's an immediately apparent effect once you've seen it and know what it is, but I don't have any examples on my site now and can't think of any links to illustrate this. Also, it can look cool or it can look terrible - a lot of times the briar will have a lot of small microfissures around such growths and when it's blasted, you end up with a lot of little open splits on the surface.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is a beautiful pipe Trever. Well done. As it is a one of a kind piece I am sure there is a buyer out there that would love to pick up that piece at or a few hundred below asking price.

Status
Not open for further replies.