PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
We we 12" below normal for rainfall going into yesterday and we finally have some rain a little over an inch so far.
When you smoke outside you watch for breaks and dress appropriately, temperatures are in the high 50's first time the ocean temperature is higher than the air temperature this month as it's 64F.
Getting in a quick smoke in the Eltang Vergin Cutty smoking Cracker Jack which is unusual for this pipe as I've only smoked flakes in it until today, doing a great job of keeping it smokey.

banjo
3bd15e4c57ec22d3355d4c0dd6210cb4fa2c650.jpeg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
It is, I love watching Vergin pipes change color the depth of color always fascinates me.

banjo

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
That's a great looking pipe. I've long wanted a Vergin pipe and I finally pulled the trigger on one last week (details in another post that I'll start within the next few days). Like you, I like seeing pipes change color over time, but I'm not a fan of meerschaum because they're somewhat delicate and I'm somewhat less than graceful. I'll be interesting to see how long the coloring process takes place for my pipe.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
And I thought this was going to be about deflowering virgins. sigh... I always miss all the fun.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Hey Sante, do you try not to handle the virgin briar like you would a meer? Or just let the oils from your hands help color the briar?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
John,

I had somewhat oily skin when I was younger but 6 1/2 months of daily exposure to Agent Orange put a stop to that, I now can get quite alligatored due to dryness. In answer to your question I simply hold it bare handed. I have two lovely old Vergins, one from Capitello, which defies anyone thinking it had not been stained, and the other by Fritz Becker, I don't smoke the Becker as often as my other Becker's but it too has colored nicely just nothing like the Capitello, yet. :)

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
buckaroo,

Here is what it looked like fresh out of its sock
7e225ed4675efea6208d11e36c290740fffa43b.jpg
. As you can tell by the look of it in the photo with me smoking it the color is changing nicely, cheers.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
John, if you have a lead on an Eltang Vergin Cutty that would make it the second one I know of. Best of luck.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
You da man John, fantastic, now there's one where the sun first rises in the USA (Maine) and where it sets as well (Hawaii), all is right in pipedome! :D Enjoy that sweetheart and congratulations.

banjo

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Thanks Sante! I'm pretty excited for this one. It's an estate and it looks like there is plenty of coloring to be done! All is right in pipedom indeed :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Virgin/unfinished pipes are a great experience, watching them deepen and mellow in color over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.