PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
How are Vauen pipes received here? Liked - disliked - hohum? Lot's of options, but have never seen one in person

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
If someone wants smoke with filter Vauen will be a excellent choice.

Over 6000 numbers will be high grades pipes.

Mar 1, 2014
Vauen is probably my favorite brand of Briar pipes.

I was initially attracted because every pipe they make is a Filter pipe (and have a wide variety of Churchwardens, a combination that's pretty much impossible to find anywhere else [I should also mention Big Ben]), but they're also technically excellent and I keep coming back to them for their designs (which vary from purely outlandish to very practical and affordable).
The only thing to be aware of with Vauen is that they drill their draft holes on the narrow side (around 2.5mm if I remember correctly), it's not horrible, plenty of factory pipes are about the same, but if you're accustomed to something like Castello then Vauen is probably the polar opposite in its draw.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
A good solid German product. Rather traditional designs. Pretty common here in the old world. There was an endless controversy and even lawsuits with Dunhill because they had a white spot. I think they lost reason why they had to paint it gray. I believe they are all filtered, reason why I never got one.

Haggard

Lurker
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
Great pipes. I use mine without the filter and do not have any issues at all. For the price, they're hard to beat.
One of mine is a normal Vauen and the other is a white spot. If you buy them in Germany, they still use a white dot for those sold in Germany. If you buy them abroad, the spot will be grey.
Aside from the grain and pattern, there is no difference between my white spot and regular one. Engineering is exactly the same.
If you get one, it's unlikely you'll be disappointed.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Here is my favorite Vauen:
vauen-rosewood.jpg

It was a 35th anniversary gift from my wife several years ago. This, and several other Vauens I have are most excellently enjoyed in my collection! I'm a 9mm filter enthusiast and have a richer variety of pipes because Vauen is in our market! Also another German favorite line for me are Design Berlin pipes from Pfeiffenstudio Hartmann... also excellent 9mm pipes.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I have a couple of Vauens and I love them. They sometimes take flack for their modernest designs, but I like that they are always trying to come up with new things. And their traditional pipes are always on point. If you don't like a filtered pipe, they make an adapter that you can pick up for a couple of dollars.
In particular, the Vauen Basics are the best pipe I've found in the $60 range. I always recommend them to people who are wanting to step up from a Grabow, but don't want to move up to the $100 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.