PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
Recently I was flipping through Youtube checking out tobacco and pipe reviews and I came across a video by one "maturefox1" showing off his Vauen pipe collection. What he has in his collection made me go digging around to see what else Vauen offered. In fairness that company has knocked my socks off, the variety of pipe they offer is insane. I especially like the pipes for the lady with the little crystals set into the shank.

Looking through their catalogue I noticed that they aren't on the super expensive side either.

Now I know the old adage "You get what you pay for" so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Vauen pipes?

Basically there are 3 or 4 that I've whittled down to and the price difference from the cheapest to the most expensive would be around £50.

Is there going to be a marked difference in quality with such a small difference from the cheapest (Being about £50) to the most expensive (£100). Has the low range to middle range been crossed with those prices or would they be considered the same?
Peace out
Dave

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own one but have always heard they are top quality, above their price level, but they are 9 mm filter

pipes, if you want to get into that. I have several filter pipes which will interchangeably use Medico, Dr. Grabow,

and Savenelli balsa filters. I am slightly tempted by Brigham pipes which use the wood filters that people really

like. I don't like the idea of getting into yet another type of filter that is not interchangeable. But if you like that

idea, and had several Vauens, it would probably work. I've always been lured by non-filter pipes myself.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
mso489 I was under the impression that filter pipes can be smoked with or without. Is this not true?

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Good German pipe company. Very popular in Germany, very interesting selection of pipes. I'll be honest that some of them just aren't my cup of tea, an example being the Briar equivelent of the Hookha/shisha pipe called the "lounge Pipe", another being the Cigar pipe also known as the Zeppelin. Saying this if you go for a traditional pipe from Vauen no matter if its expensive or cheaper, I think that its money worth spent. :puffy:

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
@pipeherman The Zepplin pipe really intrigues me, I like the idea. As for the lounge pipes, they don't do anything for me whatsoever. I think Vauen have a design or style for everyone.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Agreed on that one. I really like the "classic" designs with the half rusticated half small bowls. They are great. In Germany they have quite a large youth market, so I assume thats why they have some of this strange designs. one that really looks interesting is the small pipe's called the pippo and the purisme. Certainly something which I think is aimed for a quicker smoke and something that I suppose could be considerd cool. One thing I think I hold on the Vauen pipes is that they have designs (like you said) and prices for everyone. I believe they also have tobacco rolls for these types of pipes also, to save packing. On the subject of the Zepplin Pipe, it looks like it could be a reall challenge to smoke. :puffy:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I inherited an unsmoked one from my room mate who found himself allergic to nicotine. I gifted it to a friend to lure him into the hobby. I sometimes look at that pipe wistfully and wonder, as my friend absolutely LOVES it.
Lol

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
@pipeherman I saw a video review of a pipoo on youtube. Think it was a Norwegian guy (not that that matters). When he popped in the prepacked tobacco it looked a mighty tight fit, so caking would have to be kept under constant control. Looking at the sides of the bowl it seems like it will have very thin walls.
@wyfbane There's always one that gets away. But it's a cracking endorsement if he loves it. Hopefully a mighty generous soul will gift me one...haha

chrisschneck

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Any Vauen pipe I've held feels good in the hand, and they all have a nice finish to them, but I've yet to pull the trigger on one. The 9mm filter doesn't dissuade me as even my Chacom 2011 POTY has that and I actually sorta like it.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Gerritjan makes a valid point about Design Berlin. Fantastic pipes. Though I disagree about the cheaper Vauen pipes. I think they may not look as good, but are still good little smokers. Either way go for whatever floats your boat. :puffy:

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
I haven't really seen any "Design Berlin" pipes. Considering they are German as well I'd expect reasonable build quality. But it's the little design details that give Vauen their edge, they can go from garish stripey bowls to subtle little flourishes on the collars.
Forgive my naivety but how do the filters help? I understand them on a cigarette, they keep tobacco from ending up in your mouth, but on a briar? Seems pointless in my eyes.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
Vauen pipes are great smokers I have 3 of their unvarnished bent shapes.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
Vauen pipes annoyed me. Everyone I spoke to said they were decent pipes and apart from the church wardens were fairly decent quality. BUT, in Germany, I can't get away from them!! Every bloody shop and online store sticks Vauen down your throat. It really started to get on my nerves so I went with an Italian made pipe instead. It may of been cutting off my nose to spite my face but I really hate things being 'pushed' on me. I am going purely on gut feeling in this next statement but I can't help agree that with their market dominance here that they charge a bit over their worth. Of course that is merely a feeling from a new guy to pipe smoking, so take it for the grain of salt that it is worth.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
@auslander I could imagine it getting boring after being force fed it, but at the moment I would take great delight in handling and testing what could be my next pipe.

The local tobacconist in my home town either had basket pipes or "Petersons". When I first started experimenting with pipes I was always being offered the "Petersons", not the cheaper ones either (obviously they were hoping my naivety would make me part with my cash). Because of this i trawled flea-bay looking for estates. Funnily it was a "Peterson" that I got but at the fraction of the price.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
Well bigfella I'd be very interested in a decent review (with pics) when you pull the trigger on one. Which ones are you considering?

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I have one of the older "Dr. Perl" Vauens that I found on Ebay and bought as a knock-around, and it's really surprised me. I smoke it without a filter and it works just fine.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
@auslander At the moment I'm struck by the "Admiral" series particularly the 542 shown here It has a certain beauty about it.

Also the Shanghai 3246 with it's collar detailing I find striking. So many pipes and definitely not enough money.

Cheers for the info samcoffeeman & erichbaumer.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
They offer an adapter because otherwise the draw is way to open to smoke. I actually just recently sold my Vauen but when I smoked it I would use the Savinelli balsa wood inserts to fill up the void and they are nice because they absorb moisture. They are great quality pipes I just didn't reach for mine much so I sold it.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I have a few 9mm filter pipes (not Vauen) and they are all smoked without a filter or an adapter. As I smoke mostly virginia flakes, these pipes are actually my best smoking pipes. I wouldn't even fit an adapter at first to be honest and just smoke it as normal to see how it feels for you.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
@bigdood; Those two look like nice pipes mate have you looked at the Design Berlin models as well?
I tried my pipe without a filter for a couple of smokes and then put the filter in for the next couple. It smoked a lot better with the filter in, without any loss of flavour or restriction of draw. The problem with an insert that I could envisage is that if the drill hole in the shank is not dead center and is instead high or low, like mine is, then the adapter may hinder the draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.