PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I was doing some online browsing over at P&C and came across their "All Flaked Out" deal; you get a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced, Capstan Yellow, and Dunhill Flake for around $27.00. If any of you newer smokers were interested in trying out some VA flakes, this would be a great sampler intro at a pretty decent price! All three of these blends are top quality. I would jump on this, but I already have tins of each!
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/78624/all-flaked-out/#p-147328

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
That's a great starter trio of Virginias, indeed. All are on the lighter side of VA's - probably the Dunhill Flake is the strongest, but I've only tried the blue Capstan myself and not the yellow. All are well-behaved and easy to prep and pack, which is often a problem with VA's. But they're all somewhat different takes on the concept. And that's a fine price for the three. I'd definitely recommend that package to anyone interested in exploring VA's.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I bought a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced and some bulk Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake before I saw that offer of Orlik, Capstan and Dunhill. :?

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Edwinbaz,
OrLik GS is really good huh? I love that stuff. So is the LBEF. Good stuff. I had to get a whole box. Would hurt to smoke now and age the rest later. Don't feel bad. IMHO, you still made a good purchase.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I recommend you try Newminster's Superior Round Slices. Whole Virginia leaves around dark fired Kentucky for balance, flavor, and smoothness. Let it dry and rub it out and settle in for some delightful flavors.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Wow, perfect. Im a burleyphile, but wanting to give Virginia a shot- Dunhill flake and Orlik GS have been on my short list, after Briar Fox which is on its way. Thanks for posting this- a part of my next TAD order for sure!

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Minfarshaw, with the hot weather I've been having, discovering VaPers and VaBurs was a breath of fresh air. I tasted OGS and liked it, then put it in a mason jar to see how it does in a month/month-and-a-half. I'm smoking the PS Lux Navy Flake now when I feel like a smoke at midday/early afternoon and the heat is too much for an English/Balkan. I'm ordering Dunhill Flake on the next round and also G.L. Pease's Stratford, to try a loose VaPer (I think that one's ribbon cut).

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
My OGS is about a month and a half old. I had some yesterday and found it to be a bit sweeter than the last time I had it. It was the pipe though. It used to be my cob for aros. I haven't tried the luxury navy flake yet but it is sitting in a drawer waiting for me. I just had the greatest time smoking some LBEF. I initially tried some of the LBEF that MrEnglish sent me. It looks darker than the new batch I just got in the mail. I have to say that I enjoyed the newer batch more ( sorry Mrenglish). The newer LBEF was sweet. I was essentially smoking a peppery aromatic. The older batch is also good. The sweetness is attenuated. Both are so smooth. I'm not really good at describing taste but I tried. Lol.
Sorry about the Alphabet Soup. The name is just too long to spell out every time.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
My OGS is about a month and a half old.

mibfarshaw, IMO OGS is best with a year or two of age. The same is true of the PS Luxury Flakes. PM me and I'll

send you a few samples

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I'm just finishing up a bowl of luxury navy flake. Man that was an hour and a half of very pleasant smoking. That was a good flake. Very similar to OGS.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
P&C also has a Step Ladder Sampler that's VA specific: McClelland No. 27, Dunhill Flake, and H&H Marquee series Virginia Night.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/80645/virginia-step-ladder-sampler/#p-149592
Flagging both of these for future reference - I love the VA/Pers I've tried so far, but I'm still a complete n00b when it comes to straight Virginias.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
It's actually crazy how different the Virginia blends are when you think about the ingredients. Virginia and Perique. I wonder if it's from where they are grown or the year they are grown. Or is it because they may have some kind of casing. the luxury twist flake definitely has a casing. I think that for now, that is the one flake I am not so keen on. It seems like every time I smoke a Vaper, it becomes my new favorite. I have so many favorites now it's kind of hard to decide what to smoke next. As opposed to the Latakia blends, I tend to gravitate towards EMP in the morning. Tonight, I smoked some St. James Flake by S. Gawith and it was love at first puff.

Status
Not open for further replies.