PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Hello briar folk. It is awesome to be joining this community.
I recently got a Stanwell 32 along with some Lane 1Q, Sutliff Rum & Maple, Dunhill EMP, and Peter Stokkebye's Proper English. I tried a few bowls of the 1-Q on an Dr. Grabow Billiard I have and also on a MO Meerschaum Diplomat. I then did the same with the Sutliff tobacco, which I had to leave drying a bit because it was too moist. I have to say I didn't particularly care for either.

In between those, I broke out my new pipe with the EMP and I was really pleased with it, although I found it a bit light. A few days later I tried Peter Stokkebye's Proper English and I really believe it was my first "aha!" experience with a pipe. What a pleasant smoke! I'm not sure if it is a fair comparison, seeing that I'm smoking the English blends on a better pipe than the aromatics; but there is something about the peppery, leather-like, almost peaty qualities of the Latakia that I'm really liking.

I think I'm gonna go with english blends for a while, and maybe some day I'll try and find one or two aromatics that suit my taste.

I'm planning on ordering this week some Revelation (a match), Hearth & Home Ambassador's Blend, and tins of GL Pease Westminster, Lane Crown Achievement and Mac Baren Solent Mixture (to try out the Syrian Latakia). I have also on my to-try list Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, H&H Blackhouse, H&H Magnum Opus, Capstan Gold Flake, and the rest of the Dunhills (My Mixture 965, Nightcap, London Mixture, etc.)

I know the term 'english blend' is really broad, that is why I want to begin sampling as eclectically as possible. Some of the tobacco I mentioned I'm gonna get is very different from one another, yet I know some blends may be a bit too similar, so I'd thank your recommendations into making my next purchase as varied as possible. Cheers!

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
You mention your Stanwell 32.
I'm fixing to buy my own bulldog pipe...in fact I was just browsing the pipe sites. I really like the shape of the 32: I like looks of the Peterson 150 and the Savinelli 504, too. I hope my budget's ready for when I find one I got to have.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome to the forums edwin - I'm sure you'll find you're spending (a lot!) more time on here! I love English blends and really rate Greg Pease's mixtures, particularly Cehlsea Morning and Gaslight. You should also try the wonderful Wilderness and Legends by McClelland and the two superb Seattle Pipe Club blends - Mississippi River and Plum Pudding. All classed as English but quite different. Dunhill Durbar is also very very morish. Interestingly, a couple of the names mentioned would now be called Balkans (Westminster and Sutliff Balkan), so that's another great avenue to explore; one of my personal favourites is Bombay Court - again by McClelland. I hope this helps and whatever you do, enjoy it!
Andy

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Thank you guys, both for the welcome and the recommendations! I'll start reading up on the reviews, tweak the list and come back with any questions.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a refined English, mild but complex, you might want to try Nat Sherman 536. I bought mine at the

Nat Sherman store on a trip to NYC, but now it is available online in tins. Welcome aboard, edwinbaz.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I'm enjoying smoking my way through some Old Dublin Edwin so you might like to consider it for your list.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forums.
As was mentioned, there are smokers who don't smoke aros; I am one of them. NS 536 and Old Dublin are both worthy latakia blends; Old Dublin is a standby for me.

If you want to try Syrian latakia, make sure MacB HH Vintage Syrian is on your list.

Enjoy the journey! :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome aboard, Edwin. I'm an unabashed English style guy and think you have made some very good choices. Andy Stewart makes an excellent point regarding Balkans/Orientals as their taste profiles are different and, IMO, more complex. For example, Crown Achievement could be classified as a Balkan.

I would also recommend McClelland's Three Oaks Syrian for something different.

Enjoy your time here and check in often.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
MB Latakia Flake is superb, lots of smoky latakia but less than other blends. I get chocolate overtones. I wish I could eat it.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Hey guys. The order came in Friday. Most of your suggestions went into the to-try list and I'll be getting them little by little in the next few weeks. I'm also welcoming this nice Bjarne Viking Rhodesian into my rotation. I'll keep you posted as I try these tobaccos and get others. Thank you all.
IMAG0985_zps52c3eb6e.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been piping since May. Yesterday I tried my first ever English blend. I hadn't even smelled any till I opened the box I received from P & C with a load of goodies. I'd taken advantage of a sample selection AND some Newminster's blends...on sale...so, my first ever English, and only so far is Newminster's #52.
I just smoked a bowl of SWR from the pipe I used for my Ultimate English and it tastes like the English! What a nice way to save money! ha ha...
I'm committed to discovery and look forward to what looks to be a limitless horizon, and that makes it a journey to enjoy.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Peterson Old Dublin

Davidoff Royalty

Boswells Northwoods

Presbyterian Mixture

GLP Charing Cross

GLP Gaslight

GLP Maltese Falcon

G&H No.25 Mixture

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
A belated welcome to the group.
You have mentioned or had recommended most of the blends in my preference listing. Two Frog Morton blends were mentioned, to which I would also add On The Town. Some do not classify it as English, but I like it.
Another delightful GL Pease blend is Quiet Nights. It is one of Pease's Old London Series, all of which are excellent.
I have been smoking mostly English/Balken blends for over 30 years, and a few months ago found another that really pleases me: GL Pease's Lagonda, also in that Old London Series. I have found my tastes have changed somewhat during that time, and are continuing to change. Nightcap used to be a big favorite, but not as much anymore. I'm back to MM965 and Westminster for my "big jars", but am thinking Lagonda may push one of them down to "small jar" status.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Here's the latest TAD. I'm gonna try and smoke a couple of these (plus the ones in the previous pic I posted) before I decide to make the next order. I'm really grateful for the recommendations. For the next round I'm buying some Presbyterian Mixture; Frog Morton On The Town and Across The Pond; Balkan Sasieni; GL Pease's Meridian, Oddysey and Chelsea Morning; Nat Sherman Blend #536; Peterson Old Dublin; and some H&H Magnum Opus. I look forward to these next couple of months.

IMAG1045_zps1bebb884.jpg

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
That's a lot of tobaccos to try! As noted, an "English blend" is not that well-defined a term. To me, it means a primarily Virginia and Latakia blend, without significant Orientals or added flavoring. Of course, "significant" is a subjective term and opens up a lot of crossover possibilities (like the semi-aromatic Frog Mortons). By that definition, the GLP Westminster is a good benchmark - it's modeled after the old formulation of Dunhill's London Mixture (and by most estimations is better than the new one). I only smoke Latakia blends occasionally, but I enjoy Westminster quite a bit when I do. Nightcap is another good one to try - heavier on the Latakia, but still properly "English" IMO. 965 edges closer to what I'd call a "Balkan," with quite a bit of Oriental leaf included. Still good stuff, though. The Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake you've got is *not* an English blend by most definitions - it's a Virginia/Perique without Latakia. It's a fine tobacco and a stellar value, however - I almost always have a pound bag of it open. Similarly, the Capstan Gold you mentioned in the OP is straight Virginia, with no Latakia. And yhe Erinmore Mixture is a completely different animal, with a very potent flavoring added.
Overall, I'd say you've got quite a good selection of tobaccos to start with there. If you enjoy EMP and 965, then Nightcap should certainly be in your next shopping list. One of the Frog Mortons should be worth a run too, as they're fairly unique takes on Latakia mixtures. The other GLP Latakias like Odyssey are well-regarded too, though I can't remember which ones I've smoked myself beyond Westminster.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Oh, sorry about that. I know that Erinmore and PS Luxury Navy Flake are not English/Balkan. I just uploaded the picture of the whole order that arrived. Thanks for pointing it out.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It looks like you're moving along very well with some great choices. Now, for something completely different you may want to consider Samuel Gawith 1792. Beware, smoke this one sitting down and use a pipe that you're willing to sacrifice to the ghosting gods. It's a love or hate blend but everyone should subject themselves to it at least once.

I'll also take this opportunity to recommend the Rattray line. Some very good English and their Bagpiper's Dream is my favorite aro. The scent, taste and room note are wonderful. Happy smoke rings.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Just popped open the tin of 3 Oaks Syrian. I let it rest a few minutes (it wasn't moist but a bit oily), boiled some Earl Gray and sat down in my terrace with a bottle of water also. My pipe lighter had run out of butane so I took with me the last box of matches I had. When I opened the box, JUST TWO MATCHES LEFT! Hahaha. Turns out it was all I needed (lucky as hell there was no breeze). Wow, what a pleasant smoke! Smooth all through the bowl. Tin/room note wise I certainly got the more wine-ish quality of the Syrian Latakia vis-à-vis the BBQ-ness of the Cyprian. Taste wise, it had a certain creamy etherealness, like my bowl was empty and I was just breathing air but that air had a pleasant taste to it. I also tasted some tanginess and sourness (not the "somethings gone bad" sour, I mean the "adding one or two olives to a stew" sour) that didn't dominate the smoke but faintly stayed in the background complementing it. I'll leave it in the tub for the rest of the week and then put it in a mason jar. If this is how it tastes fresh out the tin I can't wait to see how it develops with maturity.

I was 17 when the fire that destroyed most of the Syrian Latakia happened. When I started smoking pipes I read about it and though "well that must've sucked." After this smoke, I now GRIEVE for that Latakia in my bones. Thanks to Andy and papipeguy for the recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies.