Tags:  No tags yet. 

Vaper for Summer, English for Winter?

(41 posts)
  • Started 10 months ago by blackadderlxx
  • Latest reply from Bill Nichols
  1. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Hey all, I've heard several folks mentioning that they don't smoke English blends in the summer but switch to VaPers or Va blends for the hot months. Is that really a thing with most people? How many of you do that? And if so why?

Posted 10 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't stick to the script, but with summer here (and my a.c. out of order, replacement on the way, loaner window unit in place...) I do plan to try more of my Va/Pers on hand. I think they are lighter in taste and milder to most people. After a heavy meal, I will usually want something heavier like C&D Night Bayou for example. But warm weather on the porch or after errands in the heat, Va/Per definitely has appeal.

Posted 10 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I smoke whatever when the mood hits. Primarily a Virginia/Oriental smoker, but no limits on when and what I smoke. I had some Presbyterian with a glass of lemonade on the back porch earlier, but am smoking Deep Hollow with a cup of iced coffee now.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 10 months ago #
  4. loneredtree

loneredtree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We all like to think that we are unique individuals. Much to my surprise, after 57 years of pipe smoking, I find on these forums that I fit the patterns of pipe smoking described.

I cannot taste the smoke of the "English" blends during hot weather. The Virginia blends have more flavor then and not as much in the winter. That is why.

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  5. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not with me, I smoke for enjoyment and too much structure sucks the enjoyment from the pipe. But, some members do like rules, structure and order in their world. I prefer a bit chaos. I've been know to smoke a cob now and then.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  6. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a cob....
    I smoke whatever whenever. No real pattern for me.

Posted 10 months ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mostly English year around.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  8. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mostly English year around.

This^^

Although, I do enjoy a VaPer or a VA occasionally, my staple is English mixes. In really hot weather, I tend to go to less Latakia in my mixes, but I do love Englishes.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  9. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hot weather makes me dig out some of my Virginia blends. Not so much VaPers, but straight Virginias. I like the grassy flavors more in the hot weather. I re-discovered some 4 year old Erinmore flake and lit it up. Very nice and relaxing.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 10 months ago #
  10. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke whatever when the mood hits.
    I'm with you embers. What ever strikes my fancy at the time...

"the weez"...
    Posted 10 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Whatever takes my fancy at the time.

Posted 10 months ago #
  12. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm one of those that smokes an assortment of blends and an assortment of blend types. The changes of the seasons haven't played much role in what I smoke or when I smoke it. However, I do find a good Balkan blend accompanies a good severe Texas thunderstorm beautifully. There's nothing quite like ginormous balls of icy hail crashing to the ground under the strobe of near constant lightning and the deafening booms of the war drums of the gods being accompanied by the distant trumpeting of the tornado warnings barely heard over the shrieking winds, while sipping contentedly from a favorite pipe full of a supreme Balkan blend.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 10 months ago #
  13. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke what you like. I smoke Latbombs in the A/c during the summer.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  14. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

. There's nothing quite like ginormous balls of icy hail crashing to the ground under the strobe of near constant lightning and the deafening booms of the war drums of the gods being accompanied by the distant trumpeting of the tornado warnings barely heard over the shrieking winds, while sipping contentedly from a favorite pipe full of a supreme Balkan blend.
    I'll...have to try that

Posted 10 months ago #
  15. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

I'm one of those that smokes an assortment of blends and an assortment of blend types. The changes of the seasons haven't played much role in what I smoke or when I smoke it. However, I do find a good Balkan blend accompanies a good severe Texas thunderstorm beautifully. There's nothing quite like ginormous balls of icy hail crashing to the ground under the strobe of near constant lightning and the deafening booms of the war drums of the gods being accompanied by the distant trumpeting of the tornado warnings barely heard over the shrieking winds, while sipping contentedly from a favorite pipe full of a supreme Balkan blend.

As a former severe storms researcher (yes that means tornado chaser), and current severe storms junkie (yes, it still means storm chaser), I've never tried that. Of course, I've only been smoking a pipe for a bit over a week....

Now I have something ELSE to rig up in the chase vehicle.............

CW

Black Frigate Scurvy Dog, 4th Class...Savvy?

Posted 10 months ago #
  16. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's often puzzled me how some folks associate different blends according to the current season. Associating blends with certain drinks, yes I can understand that to a point but not the season/weather.

But of course, what a sad world it would be if we all thought the same.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 10 months ago #
  17. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never noticed a difference. I smoke anything year round. Then again I smoke mostly inside. If I smoke outside it's usually a cigar.

Posted 10 months ago #
  18. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke way fewer English and Orientals in hot weather, and more VA, VaPers, burleys and even a few aros in the summer. But as soon as it cools down I bring the Latakia back.

Posted 10 months ago #
  19. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And I only smoke outside or in the garage, so ambient temperature is definitely felt.

Posted 10 months ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

It's often puzzled me how some folks associate different blends according to the current season.

I don't get it either.

Posted 10 months ago #
  21. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love all genres in any weather. I’ve really been digging smoking English’s in the warm weather.

Posted 10 months ago #
  22. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I probably smoke Va and VaPer blends 90 % of the time regardless of the season. But I must say I find myself smoking Lat blends much less in hot weather. The only exception is that I almost always smoke a light English blend on Saturday mornings. I have no idea why.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 10 months ago #
  23. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

The best thing to stick to is to smoke what you want regardless of the season. That's what I do.

Posted 10 months ago #
  24. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Login to Send PM

When I started in on the Latakia it was in Florida,and it was hot.The blend I tried was the equivalent of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe,a light bodied lat mixture.I found it smoked clean and dry;
    Much better in the warm evenings than the sweeter,heavier Virginia tobaccos,like Virginia Woods by McClelland.In fact,I had even put my pipes down for a year,and smoked only cigars prior to my discovering the Latakia mixtures.This was in the mid to late 90’s,however,and now I Smoke va/per and lat blends year round.

Posted 10 months ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I associate the Latakia flavor with a bonfire or fire place aroma, so in the summer, the last flavor that appeals to me is one that I associate with keeping warm. I really only smoke rarely on certain situations in the winter. I do smoke Virginias year round, but in the summer heat, a nice cigar brings make me think of tropical heat... smoking my cigar while hunkered down in the sugar cane with gangsters, watching Havana burning.

Michael
    Posted 10 months ago #
  26. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a former severe storms researcher (yes that means tornado chaser), and current severe storms junkie (yes, it still means storm chaser), I've never tried that. Of course, I've only been smoking a pipe for a bit over a week....

Now I have something ELSE to rig up in the chase vehicle.............

I watch The Weather Channel quite regularly around storm seasons and there was a show about storm chasers I enjoyed. What you guys do when the weather gets extreme is great. Lives, in my opinion, are truly saved by the work you all do in helping the warnings get out in the event of tornadoes. Much respect.

Posted 10 months ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The rule is:

There are no rules. Smoke what you like, when you feel like it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 10 months ago #
  28. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

in some degree yes, during the summer months (day-time especially)I lean more towards lighter Virginia forward blends ,today it was Orlik Golden, but by the evenings I'll usually switch back to more Burley heavy blends.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 10 months ago #
  29. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

Get you a big fat country gentleman mm pack that jewel with some crooner then get a glass of cold milk and find you a shade tree.You sit and fire up that pipe and your taste buds will be so happy you won't worry about the heat.

Posted 10 months ago #
  30. smokingcricket

smokingcricket

Login to Send PM

The weather has no effect on what I smoke

Posted 10 months ago #
  31. checotah

checotah

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mostly English/Balkan year round, with a good Burley as the counterpoint as needed. The percentage shifts slightly during Summer, but not that much. Don't care for VA/Pers.

Posted 10 months ago #
  32. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mostly English blends for me. I don't pay attention to the weather. If the English blend of choice isn't working, I switch to, say, a Va/Per. If that fails, I'll go to a straight VA.

If all that fails, I'll hit the tried and true PA, which usually fills the bills.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 10 months ago #
  33. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke what I want when I want because no one tells me how to live my life

Posted 10 months ago #
  34. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm ... I do prefer something less pronounced in my pipe during the summer, but not necessarily because of the hot weather. Since outdoors bars are quite frequent around here, I do like to smoke a cigar when out for a drink or just for coffee in a "piaza". Since my cigar norm is the maduro wrapper, when I get home or whenever I have a chance to smoke a pipe at any given point during the day, I instinctively reach for some opened virginia, burley based, even va/per or aromatic which I am not that big of a fan of. I do keep an English or two open during the summer, and do enjoy that whenever I feel like it. I like rules, but I also like to break rules, so when it comes to pipe ... rules and customs, well I keep them as a general guideline more than anything else.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 10 months ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

glaswegian

Login to Send PM

If I smoke during day time in summer I prefer the Va/Pers or light aromatics. Evenings I Need my english blends for a proper finish of the day.
    At wintertime my taste gets darker like the weather here in Germany.

Posted 10 months ago #
  36. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe Novelist ^^

Holy cow. I haven’t seen you on the forum in ages.

Posted 10 months ago #
  37. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have never let the change of seasons dictate what I smoke. I smoke whatever I am in the mood for as I smoke inside almost exclusively now. I don't smoke English blends anymore but when I did, I would smoke them in the heat of the Florida summers if the mood struck, which is did almost daily.

Harris
    Posted 10 months ago #
  38. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tend to want lighter blends in the summer. I still smoke lat blends, I just don't want as many of them. Likewise, I smoke Virginias in the winter, but I smoke a higher percentage of latakia blends.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 10 months ago #
  39. groovediggerdan

groovediggerdan

Login to Send PM

I hadn't even thought about the seasons' impact on my pipe smoking, but for me it seems like it would fall right in line with my food and drink patterns. In the cold weather I go for "heavier" stuff like meat and taters, stews, etc. usually with a stout. In the summer, sliced tomatoes and onions, tuna salad, cheese and crackers, etc. with lagers or kolsches (sp?).

Gonna set my beloved MM965 aside for a bit and get out the PS LBF. Thanks for the inspiration!

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    Posted 10 months ago #
  40. witchofthehollow

witchofthehollow

Login to Send PM

I like to smoke lighter Virginia’s and vapers in the spring and summer just because of the citrusy notes etc. And I for one do Like latskiss more in the winter because the smokiness reminds me of campfires and it just feels right for the cold seasons.. . I also love seasonal blends like sleepy Hollow and others. But of course like most if I’m in the mood for something I’m going to smoke it regardless!

Posted 10 months ago #
  41. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty much that last from witch -- I'll smoke whatevs the heck I'm in the mood for, which usually means either BF or my favorite aro, with the occasional Navy Flake or 3 Nuns.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 10 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   canucklehead, hauntedmyst, dcon, tbradsim1, davidy97, americaman, geopiper, heeman, upnorth1, georged, weezell, ashdigger, swan, ron123, npod, redglow