PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
Hi Folks! Pretty excited about this here VaPer I just blended. It is delicious and reminds me of clovis chewing gum. Call me crazy, but I went with 40% red virginia, 40% bright virginia, and 20% perique. It's a little "in your face" at first, but settles down after about the first 10 minutes. I've got a plug of this in the press now, so we'll see how it turns out in the next couple of weeks. It's a good 'un!

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I wouldn't call you crazy -- it's probably delicious. Out of curiosity, what base tobaccos did you use/ where from? I found that how i source my components has a huge impact. I like CD blenders myself, especially their perique.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
doc, i ordered 1 lb bags from pipesandcigars. the tobacco i received is beautiful and very clean, and smells heavenly. i will check out CD. i cannot get over what i just smoked! a simple recipe that many, no doubt, have tried, but darn good.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds like a good thing.
Are you pressing whole tobacco leaves or tobacco that has already been cut? Just curious. :)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've used P&C for blending tobacco as well and was happy with the product.
Did you try any straight Perique yet? Very interesting! 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's going a little high on the Perique for me, but many love a mighty dose. I like it better as a grace note. No one has posted much lately about using a press, in terms of quantity of leaf in the press, how long you press it, and what effects you get versus just aging it. Not planning to get a press, but it is one of the fundamental tools in blending. A little more info would be of interest.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
I haven't dared to try the perique straight. I'm sure it would be loads of powerful smoke, and maybe even a little too pungent to fully appreciate. This first pressing is the 40/40/20. I plan to also do some decremental blends as well, say 42.5/42.5/15 and 45/45/10 to see about the differences.
My basic press is pictured below. It's a hydraulic 6-ton press that applies more-than-enough pressure to get the flavors all mixed up real good! As you can probably tell, I keep it in my tool shed and do all the pressing there. Most of the time, I leave them in the press 3 to 5 days. The hotter the temps in the shed, the better! I have some other blends I'm researching right now that I want to try. So that's about it. Oh, and then I vacuum store the plugs in mason jars (vac created naturally if I start with a warm to hot jar). Sugars should appear on the surface of the plug after about 3 months.
press1.jpg

press2.jpg

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I need one of those! I usually have to wrap my tobacco up in a baggy, place it under the sofa leg and then call the inlaws over and have'em sit on the sofa:) Seriously though that's great. I've wondered how long people leave the tobacco in the press.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
I sure would like to know exactly which 4 Virginia tobaccos he is using and from where (vendor). With 40% perique, I'm sure it would be a heart starter!
On how long to leave. 3 to 5 days for a rock hard solid cake, with no moistening of the tobaccos, with good results on flavor mixing. Up to 14 days for complete mixing of flavors. Longer for fermentation (if moist). These are just general guidelines. I am most interested in pressing VaPers since after pressing I will get them aging on the shelf.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Nice set up!

And nice thread in general. I love to experiment with blending. Sometime I use base components like you are using , and sometimes I mix blends together to see what emerges, most of my experiments over the years have been nothing to write home about, but I have discovered a handful that I enjoy as much as you seem to enjoy yours. My most recent experiment has actually turned into my all day smoke, but I cannot take any real credit as it's just a mixture of blends: two parts Old Joe Krantz to one part Classic Burley Kake. It's likes "Codger Burley Greatest Hits" in every bowl!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I have to say the original blend sounds great - simple and with top ingredients will always get results. I'm going to give it a go. I'm currently working my way through some Nat Sherman Wayfarer, which has 30% Perique and is stunning. I'd never heard of Cool Hand Fluke, but by God I'm going to get some! 40% Perique and 4 Virginias sounds like Heaven.
Andy

Jun 4, 2014
Sounds like a mighty tasty blend to me. I'll be watching for your report on how the pressed version turns out.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
Alright then... here are the results of the plug. Again, the press is made up 40% Va bright, 40% Va red, and 20% perique with no fluids/water added. The flavors are mixed together on my palette and any sharpness from the 20% perique is gone! Just a nice even, rich taste. I can't wait to see how it tastes in a few months. Here are the images of the removal of the plug, through slicing and jarring:
press3.jpg

press4.jpg

press5.jpg

press6.jpg

press7.jpg

press8.jpg

press9.jpg

press10.jpg

press11.jpg

press12.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is beautiful work! C&D's Bayou Night also has 40% perique. Not for everyone, but I enjoy it.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Florida
Thank you, gentlemen. This first one was a small 5 oz batch. Liked it so much, I have the same blend at 10 oz in the press. I will go 7 days on this one. And yes, it does smell wonderful, and tastes even better in the bowl. If you drive the ember hard, the spice of the perique comes out. If you sip it, the sweet Virginias take the lead. It really is a special treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.