Value of an old pipe I received (Comoy's 184)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

monlee

Lurker
Jan 28, 2016
I have what I believe to be a Comoy's 184 Briar Smooth Tobacco Pipe that my grandfather had left me ,I know its everything listed just guessing on the smooth part. I was wondering if anyone knew how much it may be worth? Here are the best pictures of it I could get. http://imgur.com/a/y6MiY

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Anywhere from $40 to $125, depending on overall condition and the right buyer. There should be a stamping that list's the series near the brand name and shape number. That would be instrumental in final valuation. It doesn't appear to be a a top tier series, just based on your photos, bu it's hard to gauge because they are frankly terrible :laughat: If it was a blue ribband, for example, the price may increase quite a bit.
If you are a pipe smoker or have ever considered it, yours would be an excellent pipe to smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For photos: No flash, subdued but even light. Plain background. Close up of nomenclature. Good luck, and a warm welcome to the forum. I have a number of Comoys but I am not at home to compare.

monlee

Lurker
Jan 28, 2016
The only markins I can find on it say "COMOY'S LONDON PRIDE" on on side and "MADE IN LONDON ENGLAND" AND "184" ON THE OTHER, I'd try to get better pictures but don't have a good enough camera

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Judging from the condition of the pipe you would be lucky to get 20 bucks. The rim is scorched badly, the stem is chewed badly, and I would be willing to bet the bowl condition is questionable because of the other issues. That pipe has been smoked very heavily.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Unfortunately, I would have to agree with Harris. Even professionally cleaned up and work done on the chewed up stem, the London Pride was not a higher end Comoy's line. But, once cleaned up and back in smoking condition, especially coming from your grandfather, ought to make that little gem priceless and a wonderful piece for your collection, monlee.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
monlee/paronelli, make up your mind which person you are and shoot straight please.If you want pipe estimates,let us know...

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
the London Pride was not a higher end Comoy's line
- Pipestud
This seems to be in conflict with what pipedia.org's article is saying:
London Pride. This was introduced as the second grade to the Blue Riband around the same time to meet the American demand for a lighter finish. It was priced in 1943 at $25 and in 1965 at $25, then in 1979 at $95."
I find the phrase "as the second grade to the Blue Riband" a bit unclear. Does that mean just behind Blue Riband or a Blue Riband second? I have to believe it is the former. First, brands have seconds, not grades. Second, at $95 in 1979, I can't imagine that London Pride was a lower quality grade. In 1965, it sold for 71% of the price of the Blue Riband.

Status
Not open for further replies.