PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This floppy hair fast-moving terrier showed up months ago. I offered him food and tried to bring him to me. We have some good pet rescue groups, so I would have turned him over to them, since we already have pets, or they have us. But this little guy has gone feral. People must feed him, or he has a food source, to have the energy to move fast. I did a poster asking people to contact a rescue group, not animal control. I'd speculate he was abused and then abandoned, since he is so averse to people. Sometimes we hear his little bark at night. Smart, cute, and really wild. Nearly run over darting away from me in the most recent sighting after many weeks. What a life.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
We had a dog run off. She was gone a week. Yup, we were heart broken. Then suddenly she shows up one eve at midnight. Paws were bleeding and raw. Burdock sticking to her entire body, and dirty as hell.
Hopefully that Terrier will find its way home, get picked up by the doggie rescue, or become happy with it's new life in the wild as a free dog.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
When I was growing up in north Georgia back in the '50's, we had a dog named Buck. Buck was a proud, majestic blue tic that herded us children during the days and protected us in our sleep at night. He was so much a part of the family that it went without question that wherever we went on vacation, Buck was going, too.
One year, Pop decided we were going south to Florida on vacation. We wound up straight east, on the South Carolina coast. There may have been some alcohol involved in this.
On Pop's part, not Buck's.
To make a long story short, as we were distracted on our way home from that vacation, we somehow lost Buck. Someone had cut his leash while we were busy packing. We spent the rest of that day and most of another with authorities and locals and anyone we could who would help us find Buck. With futile efforts and sad faces, we drove the 400 miles back home without him.
It was a cold January day, as I was taking out the trash to the barns, that I saw first him again, bounding thru the pastures as fast as he could toward home. He was skin and bones and all matted hair but, after 6 months and 400 miles, Buck had finally made it back home. A Lassie moment, for sure.
He lived with us many years after that. We never let him out of our sight again until the day he was gone for good. Once, he carried me and now, 60 years later, I still carry him.

Jan 8, 2013
Prndl, that is a fantastic story! Similar stories have been recorded, and they blow my mind. At 400 miles, the possibility of a dog finding it's way home should very well be impossible. But somehow, be it instinct, or divine intervention, or the power of love itself, sometimes something like this happens and the dog just knows... "I need to go this way." And so the dog does, traveling long distances, through no telling what kinds of hardships and dangers, until finally through sheer determination and will, and of course love, finally making it home to surprise the hell out his people. Lovely story. Thanks for sharing that. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
prndl, what a powerful memory of Buck. Just imagine the intelligence and iron resolve it took for him to make the journey. Creatures honor us with their presences, and your dog defined the word love. The purity of that makes my mind reel, and many dogs have done similar feats. I'm sure there were many caring and helpful people on his route -- maybe some bad ones too -- but no one else would do. I'm glad you got to welcome him back and see him through his amazing life.

Status
Not open for further replies.