PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Guys,
What do you think about vacuum sealing rectangular tins - Samuel Gawith and etc. ones?

I was also experimenting by sealing some Esoterica bags with light vacuum.
My goal is to prevent the rectangular tin in my cellar from loosing its seal.

So I assume these should be vacuumed tight.
Where an Esoterica bag should be sealed in order to prevent some small pinch holes from drying quietly the tobacco inside :)
Was also thinking to try and vacuum some really old 2oz GL Pease cans.
What do you usually do when/if you seal your tobacco?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Based on my experience those rectangular tins are tight enough and I don't see no reason to add additional sealing,although it may be beneficial to take some precautionary measures if You're looking to storage them for a long term of time./more than two year or so.

Dec 24, 2012
What do you mean vacuum seal the tins? Do you mean put them in a bag and vacuum seal the bag? Generally, I would be cautious about that. I have experimented a bit with that and there is a good chance that the vacuum process will actually pop the tin. The tin will be sealed in the bag but would be open, if this occurs.
If you are worried, I would just get mylar bags and a sealer. The mylar bags aren't vacuum sealed but even if the tin opens while in the bag there is only a small amount oxygen in the bag and the tobacco won't dry out. You can use oxygen absorbers if you are worried about that.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
All of my Esoterica bags I have vacuum bagged, Luxury Twist boxes, Solani tins and a few others. I have not opened any of these yet that has not held up thus far.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Thanks Peck.
This is exactly what I am talking about - the tin goes to a bag and then I vacuum seal the bag.

I am trying to avoid having the tin to loose its seal after several years.
I was thinking only to seal the tin in a bag without vacuuming it. But decided that this would not prevent the tin lid to pop up eventually.

But if you are saying that the vacuum can actually pop the seal, seems there is no good choice then ....

Dec 24, 2012
But if you are saying that the vacuum can actually pop the seal, seems there is no good choice then ....
It definitely can, at least for the rectangular/square tins. Not always to be clear, but a fraction of the time it has done so for me. Those old rectangular tins that penzance and a few others used are the most notorious for losing their seals. I tried a few round tins and no issues.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When it comes to rectangular or square tins that you want to age for more than 5 years, either open them and jar the contents, run a metal tape around the perimeter where the top meets the sides, or just bag and heat seal in food grade mylar bags. These types of tins are imperfectly sealed and not intended for the long haul. I wouldn't vacuum seal the bag, just squeeze as much air out before sealing.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
This is useful peck. I've wanted to try this, but thought that the vacuum in the bag might suck the lid off the tins. How nice of you to take one for the team :nana:

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[run a metal tape around the perimeter where the top meets the sides].
+1. This is what I do for tins I am planning to open few years from now. It is simple and I fell very safe. For the vacuum I would be afraid it would actually broke the seal and as a matter the fact the better the vacuum machine the higher the risk as it has a stronger suction.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have purchased 5 gallon mylar bags. My plan to set aside tins/cans/painter tins or whatever that I plan to age for 10 years plus and seal them in these 5 gallon bags. I don't see any reason to vacuum sealing them, the minor amount of oxygen left inside shouldn't appreciable affect a tin if it develops a small leak.
Depending on this works out, I may get ambitious and set more aside that I plan to age 5 to 10 years.
I'm not a guy that wears a belt with suspenders but one thing you cannot buy or replace is time. This seems to be a reasonable precaution to me.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I was looking into vacuuming because from my logic :), the pressure of it should keep the lid closed :).

Similar if you tape the tin. However I don like taping from purely aesthetic perspective.
On the other hand a thing worth noting is that the tin I sealed were purchased in the last year or two.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wouldn't think the bag under vacuum would apply any appreciable pressure on the lids. I'd be more concerned of creating a negative pressure within the bag that would encourage the greater pressure inside the tins to push them open.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
You are so negative :(
Seems from what you guys saying that it is better to sealed it tight in a bag but not vacuum seal it.

Same thing what I do for my Esotercia bags :)

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@admiral. That is precisely the way I do it. I vacuum seal square tins tightly and Esoteria bags slightly less so. I’ve been doing it for 4 years now with good results long term.
Yrjf9dz.jpg

8mn6ncv.jpg

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
npod - Nice pics and well organized tins, however I would use aluminum lined mylar bags and not the food saver plastic ones as plastic, even the one of the food saver, is porous and it not intended for long term use. Anything more than a couple of years I think that plastic bags are useless.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I would use aluminum lined mylar bags and not the food saver plastic ones

I use both. Mylar has become my preferred method for bags like Esoterica. The Food Saver bags are good for square tins like the OP questioned. The tins are already sealed well(ish) and just need a little extra insurance in case of small leaks over time.
Mylar is wonderful!

Eua7LLh.jpg

CPUiPZz.jpg

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I am based in Europe. Mylar is not quite popular here :)

But need to admit that I never searched more thoroughly for such.
Anyway will do some more experiments by bagging with different levels of vacuum :)

My goal is to do the same Neal has done with his tins :)

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've always just placed bagged material in jars and left tins be. I'm yet to have a seal fail on a Gawith tin or any tin for that matter. They come vacuumed sealed and I'm happy with that. I'm sure seals fail but it hasn't happened to me yet. If it does, I'll rehydrate the dry tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.