PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Reading these various posts got me to thinking. If one could retire, and take a long vacation away from everything and everyone, for say 30 days, what would you do and where would you go.

I have been reading a book called Reflections from the North Country by Sigurd Olson. In it he tells of the many canoe trips he has taken in and around the Quetico-Superior country, and what it's like living in that part of the world.

Having a largish imagination, I could picture myself canoeing out into that country and living in a cabin by a lake for an extended period of time. Alone.

Alone so I could brush off civilization for a while, and get my thinking straight again.

It's a heck of a thing to do, but since we can play numerous "what if" games in our minds, what if it were possible?

What would you need to survive? Let's say you needed to carry the minimum of everything. You have to canoe out after all.

What couldn't you do without? Besides the obvious, such as food and clothing of course, what would you bring with you to make it tolerable, if not down right enjoyable?

And since this is a pipe forum, I would have to include a pipe of course. Which one? How many? What tobacco? You see where this is going, right?

After much deliberation, I came up with one pipe, two tobaccos, three books, one gun, one knife, and one bottle of liquor.

I think it would all fit in a canoe just fine, along with everything else I would need.
Pipe. My Hilson. It is a wonderful smoker, tough and inexpensive, in case it got lost or damaged.

Hilsonpipe004.jpg

Firearm. My Winchester 9422 .22 mag. Great little rifle. Ammo is small, light and powerful.

Hilsonpipe006.jpg

Books, knife and whiskey. The book that started me thinking about where I would go, Reflections from the North Country, another called The Twelve Moons of the Year by Hal Boreland, and one other I haven't decided on yet.

A little knife for whittling, or whatever you may need a knife for. In this case my Great Western.

And last but not least, a bottle of Johnny Walker Black. Couldn't do without that.

knifebookandjw001.jpg

So there you have my indispensable list of necessaries for a long get way in the wilderness.
Silly? Yep. Fun? yep also. But hey, I am getting ready to retire for the second time, in three more months. You never know. I just might end up camped out in the wilderness somewhere for a while. I know I wish I were there right now.

Don't you?
I know. I know. I have to get back to work now. Have fun folkes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Max, Fur, Guys,
While I am on an imposed vacation courtesy of my former employer; I can identify with the desire to escape.
Max there are only a couple of things I would adjust on your list.

First: The bottle of Johnny Walker Black would have to be full.

Second: I would (like Furandfeather) take 3 pipes; one of my churchwardens, my 5C Cavacchi, and my straight Peterson (for fishing and catching). :)

My choice of tackle would have to include an 8 foot bail caster, a bunch of large motor oil plastic worms w/glitter (for the bucket mouth bass) and a large straw hat.

My book would have to be my LOTR trilogy w/The Hobbit boxed set. (it's not too big)

And lastly I would remember that I had forgotten my cell phone on my way back home ....

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
A 1903 Springfield with 110 grain and 140/150 grain loads, an entrenching tool, two shelter halves, a Buck 303 pocket knife (besause I've carried one for 50 years and would feel naked without it), my Lakota Hawk skinner/hunting knife, a poncho, flint, salt, pepper, beans, bacon, flour, some kind of a light fishing rod and reel with 8lb test monofil line, fish netting, asprin, 7X50 binoculars, engineers compass, pencil and paper, spray paint, camo wire and two mules. One to ride and one pack mule. When the road ran out, that would be the beginning.

The pipe would be a MM cob and the tobacco, Black XX or Black Irish Twist.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
This thread puts me in mind of one of my all time favorite books. Cache Lake Country by John J. Rowlands. Originally published in 19477 and reissued in 1990. Well worth reading. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=cache+lake+country+by+john+rowlands&sprefix=Cache+Lake+Country

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
My dream is to retire and have a ranch in the mountains of New Mexico, ride horses and smoke pipes.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I am in a pretty much forced retirement in the boonies of Wisconsin where I do a wee bit of blacksmithing, some woodworking and smoke pipes. Enjoyable for the most part. If I EVER get the disability I am fighting for it will be better.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I'd have to take the following
A old two man tent I have, very compact and light.
My sawed off 12 gauge that used to be my grandfathers and plenty of ammo. My 380 on my belt. A folding utility knife.
A military compression bag containing three traps and several snares.
A military compression bag with a poncho liner, small pillow, and two light fleece sleeping bags.
One extra pair of jeans and tee shirt. extra socks and underwear.
A telescoping fishing pole with a small assortment of hooks, lures, and extra line.
An assortment of four books, whatever I grab on my way out.
Three corn cob pipes, and three pouches of PA. Strike anywhere matches and my flint with magnesium strip.
Small folding cooking pan, plate set.
Large zip lock bag with salt, pepper.
Bottle of Makers mark and crown royal.
Of course I'd go in a canoe and bring my golden retriever with me.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'd load up my boat and head towards the Caribbean find me an island and just soak up the sun. This could be cheating but I have a canoe already on my boat for emergencies so I don't have to worry about gas. Plus I can troll from jacksonville to the bahamas back and would be pushing it, but could probably get back to the bahamas with my extra bladder tank. It would take forever but could do it.

Fishing Pole: American Rodsmith H3 Titanium w/ shimano stella sw spin real; one of my betts cast nets

Knives: Dexter Russell filet knife set I have; schrade 8" Buffalo knife.

Gun: Remington 700 limited edition; JBL 38-Special speargun

Clothes: my baggies, a few t shirts, sandals, and my water shoes incase I'm around a bunch of fire reef(ewww), sunglasses

Book: Lord of the Rings trilogy. Never gets old to me

Pipe: a cob for fishing, my Comoy for fishing, one of my Petersons for relaxing

Tobacco: Nat Sherman Liberty Virginia, and a few more virginia blends.

Drink: Johnny Walker Black Label and Jameson.

Food: salt, pepper, and butter for my fish, some wasabee for sushi, and rice

I have thought about this many a times lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.