PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Does anyone have any suggestions for a newer pipe smoker to check out this style? What are some of the classics? Also, I am looking for lighter Nic smokes.
Thanks!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Definitely try MacBaren Old Dark Fired, Burley London Blend and Solani Aged Burley Flake. All are very good but that ODF is superb.

Dec 24, 2012
+1 to Roth
You might also consider 3p (perfect plug) by Peterson.
I am not sure the solani ABF has much in the way of Virginia in it. Would be curious if anyone knows. I have tried it and it struck me as essentially pure burley

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks for the responses. I think I am looking for a Virginia burley blend more than the strait burley. Are the above strait burleys? I also realize that bur tends tobe high in Vit n which is why I asked for some lower n recommendations.
Thanks for your speedy response I'm looking to put an order in tonight ;)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Rothnh: The Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match is very close to the original. I've smoked both recently and in a blind test, would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The original might have a little more molasses flavor, and is maybe slightly fuller in taste, but not by much at all.
Trucha: for a light nic hit, try Virginia Squire from John Patton. 4Noggins sells it. If you're experimenting, why not give Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh a try? I also recommend MacBaren London Blend, as others have here.

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
+1 On the Peterson Sherlock Holmes. Good stuff I dont think it will disappoint you.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
My top VaBur recommendation: Reiner Long Golden Flake. It's pricey and there's also a hint of perique, but it's fabulous.

I'd also consider Gawith & Hoggarth Brown Flake Unscented and MacBaren Burley London Blend

Dec 24, 2012
Good recommendation on the ODF guys, but try to find any tins of the stuff. It's impossible, at least at the big online retailers. Solani 660 or the Reiners are good bets. I also like the 4th gen 1931, and think it must have burley in there (not sure though)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My va/burley's I stock are ODF, Solani 660 Silver Flake, Stonehaven, Peterson 3p's.
roth, when I first tried ODF I did not care for it. I put it away to dry for a few months and now love the stuff.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Stonehaven is totally unique in that it's got a tannic earthiness to it that I haven't found in other VABurs. Solani Silver Flake tastes a little more in line with what you'd expect a VABur to taste like and is infinitely more available. It's got a nice spicy finish to it, to boot. Those are my 2 top choices, but hello, what's this? Is this my 4Noggins TAD with Solani ABF in it? Whatever shall we do with you...

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
Besides the ones mentioned - and it would be hard to find a better candidate than HHODF or Edgeworth - I would have to say Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut Burley. It is a very mellow, easy-smoking blend of Burley and Virginia in a cube preparation. It has a delicate flavor profile of sugarcane/tea and roasting marshmallows.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Hi all, thanks for the suggestions. I ordered last week a bunch of the suggestions. Sadly ODF and all the Peterson's were out at my retailer. I did get the Mcclellands London Burley. It has a chocolate topping which is OK. I also go John Pattons Virginia squire which was super dried out but surprisingly smoked wet. I put it down not really liking it. However, when I picked it up a few hours later it was delicious.
I also got some mcbarens golden extra 100g. Question: Is that tinned sealed? I think I read somewhere on line that it is not. If that is the case I will crack it and jar it.
Next up is the solani silver flake. It better be good since I just spent a small fortune for the 100g tin.

I also got a tin of gawith best brown #2 so I'll give that a try too. THanks!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth,
Just for clarification, we're talking an opened tin of ODF, put aside in one of your plastic containers (or my canning jar) for 3 months or so, right?
OK, thanks -- I'll go find that jar with ODF.
Yes I am talking about an open tin. Mine was pretty wet so it need time to dry out a bit. I have found that subsequent tins were not as wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.