PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I know that a couple years ago, the Virginia/Perique mixtures ("VaPers") came back into focus for many of us. As time goes on, and practices evolve, it seems to me that many of these are headed for Virginia/Burley/Perique territory ("VaBurPers" or "BurVaPers") because the Burley stabilizes the mixture under flame and keeps it from burning too hot and being too sweet.
So, here are a few to consider:
1. Savinelli - Doblone d'Oro
Here's the official description:
The choicest Virginias, Burleys and dark fired Kenyan leaf are enhanced with an impeccable addition of spicy Perique, then aged to perfection before being spun into enticingly beautiful, zesty coins.
My take on it is simpler: this blend is what Three Nuns always wanted to be: a balance between bright Virginia, smoked leaf, stabilizing Burley, and tangy Perique. With all those flavors in balance, the blend burns with a flavor like honey from beers that visited trees and wildflowers instead of clover. The bright Virginia loses its white bread sugariness, the edge comes off the smoked leaf, the Burley broadens the mix, and the Perique injects its normal piquant flavor but is tempered into being more of a tang to the sweetness than a zing.
2. American Tobacco Company - Cotton Boll Twist + Rattray - Hal O' The Wynd
One of my personal favorites, but you have to homebrew it yourself, and I ran out of Cotton Boll Twist months ago. It tastes like Marzipan. This results from the contrast and complements of the two tobacco blends used to mix it.
A wynd, by the way, is a mountain path, and according to Iwan Ries, the blend name came from:
Its name derived from the Blacksmith hero in "The Fair Maid of Perth" who was described by Scott as "a man of a most unusual share o' strength."
If you like Va/Pers, Hal O' The Wynd takes bright Virginia (mixed with other varieties) to a vinegar type flavor, probably as a result of how it is pressed and cased. This flavor is the closest to the original Three Castles tobacco, which really did merit the "blond" epithet. In the Rattray blend, the Perique and Virginias meld together to deliver this light, sweet flavor with a hint of sourness, like existential doubts and hopes clashing on a lonely winter night. With the addition of the Cotton Boll Twist, the flavor broadens and gains a nuttiness, which creates the Marzipan-like qualities: blended almonds, honey, sugar, and a shot of rose water. Together they form a synthesis between the nutty and the sweet that is unforgettable.
3. Dunhill - Royal Yacht + Cornell & Diehl - Burley Flake #1
Another quasi-handmade. How homebrew is it if you take two tins off the shelf, rub them out together and then mash them into a jar to let sit for a week or two? But that is exactly what I recommend you do here. I realize that there is no way to improve on Royal Yacht because it is, by itself, perfect in every way. However, we are not trying to improve it here, but trying to make it into a VaBurPer (personally, I like "PerVaBur" better, to avoid the word "burper" in the name).
Royal Yacht proves indescribable because it is a simple blend that expands into infinite internal flavors. It is like a fine wine that has a strong distinctive flavor, but brings up new sensations at each sip that can only be described with allegory: a breezy summer day, the first crabapple of spring, blood in your mouth from a knockout punch, leather seasoned with smoke, and so on. On the surface, it is a mixture of "Empire" Virginias which are quite strong, gently top flavor with what we are told resembles a "tawny Port" wine. In the vernacular, it is strong Virginias with a plum-like flavoring, but while it is being smoked, many other comparisons come to mind, alongside the daydreams, hallucinations, astral traveling, and other effects that it has on the smoker. Burley Flake #1 on the other hand seems to be:
A blend of dark Burley and red Virginia with just a splash of Perique.
The pressing seems to give the Perique more influence, perhaps through the mingling of tobacco juices -- the flake itself arrives moderately moist -- and the interplay between the condimental red Virginia and Perique. At its heart, however, this flake is a massive wallop of dark Burley, which gives it an unusual strength and a broad flavor that is more like sun-dried grains, if such a thing exists, than the usual "roasted" and "nutty" flavor of Burleys. It has an almost ancient flavor. When you combine it with the mesmerizing honey and wine flavor of Royal Yacht, the flake becomes mellowed and the Virginia flavor takes the lead, but harmonizes with the powerful backdrop of the Burley to gain a really warm and complex, shifting taste.
4. Cornell & Diehl - Old Joe Krantz
Burley hits some people hard, especially blends that are heavy in dark Burley without balancing it with enough white Burley to soften the blow and sweeten the mix. For some reason, dark Burley has a "green" taste and feel, as if one consumed slightly under-ripe fruit. Eat three green bananas and you will feel this effect (but not, alas for William Powell, any hallucinations). For some, Old Joe clocks in at the high end of the Nicotine scale; for others, it is more of a medium; since late 2016 or so, the blenders seem to have modified it to have more moisture and more white Burley, so it is less of a military-grade assault and more of just the best OTC you have ever had. In fact, I predict that it will become a mass market blend named "Old Joe" one of these days and you will pick it up at your local Wal-mart, tobacco shack, or wherever Bugler, Carter Hall, and Prince Albert can be found in these degraded times.
But Old Joe Krantz remains a pleasure for many of us. If you do not get floored by the green Burley effect, you can smoke it all day, with a flavor like roasted nut bread with a slight frosting of butter and the best plum jam that you have ever had. This might be the original Va/Bur/Per (Per/Va/Bur) and many of us reach for it even in the new "low nicotine" version, which also comes in a ribbon cut instead of a rough cut, so burns better, more like the Dunhill or Peterson blends.
5. Peterson - Irish Oak
The official tin description says:
A rich blend of Cavendish, Zimbabwean, Orange, Thailand Burley & Black Perique, matured in Oak Sherry Barrels.
You can translate this into: strong empire Virginias, muscular Burleys, and crushed Perique with a bit of Cavendish to mellow it out for you. This is a great smoke by itself, but a bit overwhelming in its bittersweet, vinegar-like flavor, so I tend to mix it with more Burley since the Burley acts like a sponge and sops up the flavor, making it broader and warmer, but delivering the goods.
I seem to recall typing:
"Irish Oak" tucks in some Cavendish to sweeten the mix, resulting in a pleasantly fragrant smoke that mostly emphasizes the cut hay and roasted nuts flavors of the Virginias and Burleys interacting, with the Perique and Cavendish combining into a flavor more like citrus and honey. Together these work to provide a solid all-day smoke. At first, the Perique is most noticeable, then the Virginia, and finally the Burley with the Cavendish giving it a caramel overtone.
This rings true today. The Virginias caramelize nicely and the Burley takes mostly a supporting role but is distinctive enough to be one of the fundamental ingredients of the resulting flavor. Maybe the sherry barrels have somewhat of an influence here, or that could be mostly the Irish tourism office having its say, but the mixture has a unique slightly acidic, sweet and mild flavor that is unique and delicious.
And Beyond...
For a genre as varied as the BurVaPers or VaBurPers, however you wish to call it, the above can only present a fragmentary introduction. You can find more options by searching TR.

Reactions: Bamfdor

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I never smoked any of these reviewed blends, but I found the comprehensive critiques to be very helpful, and more importantly, interesting.
Thanks,

Frank

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
The only BurVaPer I've tried is C&D Oak Alley. There's a lot going on, to my untrained palette, and it's very tasty when packed right and smoked slowly. Sweet and spicy with the earthy Burley supporting the whole way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The original OJK is OK with me. Balanced but fulsome. C&D knows burley and how to make it sing, alone and with other leaf. Billy Budd similarly good, and most blends from C&D with burley.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
No question, this 'genre' is my favourite; DM includes many of the tasty treats in his list, but I'll add that the GL Pease blend JKP is delicious, as are Solani's Silver Flake and Triple Play... so many fantastic options.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Actually never gave Irish Oak a chance due to the Cavendish, seldom is a blend that contains it I enjoy. Making me rethink this one.
I'll add that the GL Pease blend JKP is delicious, as are Solani's Silver Flake and Triple Play.
JKP and Triple Play I like, Silver Flake is now on the buy list.
Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic with 30-40% Perique is pleasant and works in a crowd.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
All 3 of D&R's Rimboche line offer unique to themselves, and quite delectable combinations of perique(s) and VA's at spectacular pricing.

You could use Picayune as an additive to other base leaf, easily. It is STAND OUT strong in both nicotine and flavor.

A.P. and Picayune have a more spicy Perique.

A.B. and S.J. are more 'mellow' varieties and the A.B. has a little Lat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No Perique, but "everything else," PC's tub tobacco Chestnut is bur/Va/Turk/Lat. A flavorful blend at a moderate price.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Found a few others:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2442/hearth-home-capitol-stairs

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5394/hearth-home-freight-train

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10135/hearth-home-delta-days

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2670/hearth-home-frenchys-sunza-bitches

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9375/hearth-home-viprati
And the Golden Triangle series are all BurVaPers:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10849/pipesandcigarscom-belmont

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10850/pipesandcigarscom-grand-point

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10851/pipesandcigarscom-paulina

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10687/pipesandcigarscom-perique-blend-gp-11

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10852/pipesandcigarscom-south-vacherie
Interestingly enough, one of my old favorites (RIP) is on the list of Va/Bur/Pers:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5148/villiger-after-dinner

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I enjoyed the Irish Oak quite a bit. Kind of hard for me to ID and nail down all of the flavors some times, but didn't stop me from enjoying it.
My first VaPer was the H&H Marquis series Viprati, which I also loved. It, too, has some burley, although, when I smoked it (it was my 2nd tin ever), I wouldn't have known a burly if it had done a tap dance in my pipe.
I think I need to revisit that one, now that I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous...
jay-roger.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Must give a try to Royal Yacht quite a long ago I had a tin and after two bowls of it I swore not to touch it any more and then did gave it to buddy of mine,Ps.this descision was taken when I was laying on the floor of my living room,,

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
If you've got the coin to buy and stock up on HU Tobacco, you are very fortunate. I can only allow myself a couple tins at a time; the cost in euros to cdn funds and the intense and punishing CBS fees severely limit my ordering directly from Germany. But that said, the quality of their tobaccos, especially their VA-Bur-forward blends like Nashville County & Nyala & Edward G., make their blends well worth the trouble and expense to obtain. There is a HU taste, in the same way there are Mac Baren, McClelland or SG tastes, and I do like the HU nuance; with their burleys, the Malawi burleys & dark fired variants are very much a cocoa tinged experience. There is nuttiness etc., too, but the chocolate is dominate. If this interests your taste buds, I recommend the HU Tobaccos highly. Their Makhuwa burley-VA-per concoction is a fantastic Christmas Day smoke :puffy:

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
Pease's Cumberland is one of my favorite blends. A VaPer with dark fired burley--sweet and savory. Not quite as strong as OJK and sweeter. I'm just finishing up a tin from 2005 and it is spectacular.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
Interesting thread that I enjoyed reading.
I didn't realise OJK had changed as I usually just put a pound in jars and use a different set that are not for the cellar. Last month I had a little spare from my tobacco order so I smoked it..............It tasted a little different and I just put this down to needing a few months in a jar.........I didn't even notice the different cut until I compared it with some older OJK :oops:
I will have to try some of those mix up though as I regularly add Burley to good tobacco.....(oh dear). I have a jar of Haunted bookshop from a very bland batch that I have mixed with granulated Perique and some cube cut Burley.....should be ready soon....will report the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.