PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I guess what I'm really after is hope and encouragement.
I commissioned a meer from a Turkish carver and it was shipped.

It arrived in the US, went into Customs, and has been stuck on "Inbound Out Of Customs" for almost 5 weeks.

I've never personally had a hold up this long, but based on Google results it's not TOO uncommon.
My USPS office said it hasn't entered their tracking system yet, therefore they can't do much of anything about it.
Anyone else have this happen with a pipe from Turkey?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've not tried to order a pipe from overseas, but my experiences with customs is foreboding. I worked for decades with a research group, and when we sent boxes of publications out-of-country, we were advised to hire a customs broker or the cartons would arrive months late or not at all. I think your Meerschaum will move, but no telling how long it will take. Customs seems to be one of those bureaucracies that is universally inefficient in nearly all nations. I think the officials are continually under so many different pressures and mandates they just lose hope and stagnate. There are disincentives to moving faster, few rewards, and of course there is just good old human laziness. I think the customs brokers cultivate the officials and probably hand around some "incentive" money where needed, the way their customers can't.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I would say that there is a problem.

Was the pipe insured for loss or damage?

In any event only shipper can initiate a inquiry.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Ive read accounts of similar situations that took up to 6 weeks to finally push through.

If it goes that long Ill start the cage rattlin. :puffpipe:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is strange. From across the pond, to Kentucky, here is my experience in ordering pipes.
Denmark-3 days

Germany-5 days

Italy-9 days

Australia-14 days

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just recently I was waiting for my pipe to arrive from U.S whole 2.5 months, but here I must point out this very pipe was sent via Ups Super Saver turtle slow'shipping option,and it may have been sitting on our Customs shelves as well for some period before the postal folks sent me a notice 'you have gotten a parcel from outside of EU and thus It might be subject to customer taxes,once You are finished with the customs clearance process we urge you to send us proof of payments and we will proceed further on with Your parcel.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I've purchased pipes from Serbia, Russia, Poland, Italy, France, England, and Ireland. For some reason, Poland has been by far the slowest. Figure on three weeks, and six to eight weeks from Poland. This is based on four separate purchases from Poland.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I've dealt with US Customs few times.

Usually there are 2 reasons for lack of updates. First - Custons aren't sure the proper value was declared and trying to appraise the merchandise. But it wouldn't take 5 weeks. Second reason, hope you had it insured, pipe has found a diffent new owner or package got tossed for some reason. Sorry.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
maybe it's the fact that it's a pipe; maybe the fact that it's from turkey; maybe just bad luck.
i've ordered many other things (eg clothing from sweden, sunglasses from italy) and it's rarely taken more than three days to get to nj.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
All of my overseas orders have cleared customs quickly. I'm in Pennsylvania, so my packages usually go through New York. On occasion, for some inexplicable reason, packages will go through Chicago. Then there will be delays.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’ve never had a problem from Europe proper. I order from Denmark Germany and Italy often for example. Never had to wait more than a week.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The UK has been fraught with problems for me, but the the difficulties have always been on their side of the ditch, not the US Customs. They recently held up a package containing a vintage Parker Roller Beacon lighter (never had fluid in it) for two months before determining that it was mostly harmless and allowing it to pass through to me.
That country is a sewer of statist bureaucrats and passive subjects.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Similar to this?? Woods- there's a tutorial on how to take photos.....
:twisted:
s-l1600.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
2v2JS6GzWx3L6Bn.jpg
Parker Roller Beacon, bought from a UK seller​

2v2JS6GMgx3L6Bn.jpg
It languished in bowels of the Dangerous Goods Support Team Subterranean Inspection Division for almost two months, while they held various high-level meetings, conferences and think tank pow-wows to try to determine the threat level posed by my lighter. After great deliberation, they eventually identified the Parker Roller Beacon as "mostly harmless"
2v2JS6noGx3L6Bn.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
2v2JS6Nadx3L6Bn.jpg

4 Pitt St., Barnsley, England, where my lighter was subjected to relentless interrogations, without the benefit of counsel, for almost two months.
I strongly suspect that the woman seated on the wall had something to do with it all. But I can't prove it at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.