PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Well, I haven't had much time to post what with work and getting used to my new country but I got a few minutes of down time tonight.
First, work is more amazing than I ever could have imagined. The people I work with are the kind that I am glad to be able to call friends. Every time I start to worry that I'm not doing enough, I get feedback that lets me know where I stand. When I freak out that I made a mistake and that means I'm canned, they laugh a bit and say "No worries, you'll get it next time" and the list of good things goes on.
As for Latvia, I'm falling more and more in love with it. It'll never have the comforting feel of the home where I grew up but it is warm and welcoming all the same. The cold and distant Latvian is something I have yet to meet. Sure, most people might find them gruff and grumpy but I grew up around cowboys...not a problem at all. For example, I went out with a group and had to wait with an older driver for a bit and we had a pretty good time. Sure, he only spoke a few words of English and German but I only speak a handful of words in Latvian. We traded vocab words and food (he introduced me to a type of peanut butter candy called crabbies) and had a grand old time. When the others came back, they all said how grumpy he was and how he didn't speak a word of English (he sure as hell knew the word for milk when we ordered coffee). I guess it's all in how you look at it whether Latvians are easy or hard to deal with.
Now comes the sad bit. We came home today on the only day where I can be home before 7pm to find one of my cats unable to move or eat. She was also having trouble breathing. We called the vet and took her in but it doesn't look good. Her blood glucose came back insanely high when less than 2 months ago it was fine. When the vet was feeling around he also noticed some possible signs of cancer in her which could explain the sudden spike. So, best case scenario she is diabetic and worst case, she's dying from cancer. Either way will not be easier for my girl.
So, on balance it's been a great time but a few prayers for my kitty wouldn't go amiss.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Captain for the update. Sounds like quite an adventure - but very sorry to hear about your cat. Hope she recoveres.

Jan 8, 2013
So sorry to hear about your cat, but I'm glad you're doing well and things are going good for you there. Hopefully things turn out for the positive with your cat.

Dec 24, 2012
Captain - it sounds like you are having a fantastic cultural experience over there. Are you getting used to the food?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
GREAT to hear from you, pal. I'm glad that the early days are proving to be welcoming and rewarding.
Conversely, I'm truly saddened to hear about your poor kitty. That well, and truly, sucks.
-- Pat

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Long time, no hear. It's good to read that you're adjusting to your new environs. I'm sure that the cultural differences have their entertaining moments. Sorry to read about your pet and hope she comes around quickly. I'm anxious to hear about your escapades and impressions of Latvia since few of us are knowledgeable about that country. Pictures would be nice too. Stay safe and stay in touch.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Dave--Mixed news--the good news about your new job and home, and the tough news about your cat. Hope her health situation picks up so we can have good news all around.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
DAVE!
Like everybody else I'm sorry to hear about your cat. Let's hope that the former Communist sympathizing vets are as good as ours and everything gets sorted out. (Didn't know pet shipping was part of the offer. That's a real perk in the education field, bud.)
But, damn! Finally glad you checked in, pal.
Please share the play by play whenever you have a few moments.
Just in case you haven't heard, those bastards at A&E cancelled "Longmire" last week. The producers have vowed to shop the series to other networks. (Who knows? Maybe we'll get lucky and another "Southland" will be resurrected.) A&E reported they can do five episodes of "Duck Dynasty" for one episode of "Longmire." So, I get it. I don't like it. But, I do understand the economics. The very strong "Longmire" demographic falls outside the coveted 17 to 49 age range but if it were up to me I'd be shilling to the PGA tour viewers and anybody who could lay a liplock over a can of Boost or Ensure and strap on a Depends. (There's a fine reason "Murder, She Wrote" stayed on the air for so many season.)
Do write and give us the lay of land: culture, food, drink, tobacco, escape routes to Finland. (I'm always interested in the price of an all night woman. That's a tell in any economy.)
Also, when will you need another pouch of Rincon De La Pipa?
Cheers, pard.
Fnord

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Glad to hear from you Captainsousie, I'm glad your settling in, as for your cat, our cat was diagnosed as diabetic two years ago. We give our cat two injections per day and periodically check her blood glucose level, she is healthier than most cats half her age, you would never know she had an illness. I hope your cat gets to feeling better and all is well with your family.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks all. I haven't heard from the vet yet. We called around 4pm and they said they would call with info when the vets had all the results. That could be in 10 minutes or it could be tomorrow. So far our commie vet :wink: has been pretty good so I'm just gonna wait and pray.
Are you getting used to the food?

It took my gut about a week and a half to get used to it but it's been great so far. It's basically a meat (pork, chicken or fish), potatoes or beets, and whatever fruit and veg are in season. When I want a good hamburger they are plentiful so I can always indulge my "American" appetite.
Didn't know pet shipping was part of the offer.
Sadly, it was self-funded. They paid for my stuff to get shipped over but the cats ended up costing around 2k after a mix-up and ensuing fight with Lufthansa. It should have come in around $800 but the carrier screwed up and I ended up having to call a pet shipper. That part turned out all right though because another co-worker came in on the same flight and the mix-up had ended in her favor when she could use the financial break even more than we could.
Jim, say it ain't so...NOOOOOO! Well crap. I do hope another network picks it up though as everybody who works on that show, that I've met, is first-class
Thanks for the words of encouragement Phil and I will be sure to post pics someday (hopefully this weekend) soon.
In the meantime, here's a Latvian band called Carnival Youth and the Latvian scenery figures prominently in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKV-jCjlaI

Dec 24, 2012
Guys,
I am so pissed that they cancelled Longmire, especially with the cliffhanger that ended season 3. I hope they find another network, but that is often tough to do unless they do it quickly since the actors often take other jobs.

Aug 1, 2012
[Insert favored expletive here] the kitty's blood glucose isn't stabilizing so they have to keep her another night.

Status
Not open for further replies.