Unusual Shape GBD Prehistoric with Perspex Stem

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Orley
  • Latest reply from bluegrassbrian
  1. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got this off eBay about a week ago and just cleaned it up. Shape number 9490, not sure what to call it, square shank bent billiard I guess. This was my first pipe with a perspex stem. I did some reading on cleaning these, as it was pretty ugly with a lot of tar. I tried the safest, simplest method first with soap and water, but came up with an idea that worked quite well. I used bristle pipe cleaners with a little water and some Crest Pro Health Advanced, as it seems to have some slight grittiness to it. Wow, got almost all of it out in about 15 min. The airway has ridges in it that made it particularly hard to clean, and the only place that wouldn't come clean was in the sides of the bend. The pipe had a dark blotchy stain that took some effort to remove. I know the stain color I chose is probably not like the original, but I like the color, although it looks redder in the pics.

After reading what I could find on the Prehistoric line, it seems to be somewhere in the middle of their line. I'm not sure of the age of this pipe with that shape, but because of the brass rondel, it has to be before 1980 I believe. Looking forward to smoking it!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OMG! That is the cleanest perspex stem I have ever seen. Wow. Really nice looking pipe!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. uperepik

uperepik

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is an amazing looking GBD, judging by the silver rondell and straight London England stamp I'd defiantly say pre-80's. I'm sure Al or one of the GBD junkies will chime in, Wow, just....wow

-
    "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth."
    C.S Lewis
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Wonderful acquisition and clean-up!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Steal of a Deal, wonderful lines, smoke it in good health.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Nice work! The 9490 is a bent billiard with a square shank. That Perspex stem is as clean as I've seen, good thinking on the toothpaste which has a mild abrasive (cars guys use toothpaste to remove scratches from windshields).

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Again.. wow on the crystal clear perspex!

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sasquatch, ben88, georged, erkpik, olkofri, morgansteele, cranseiron, canadianpuffer, shanez, mikefu, acidpox, ekert, ashdigger, derhammer, alsatmem