PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I recently PM'd Peck about a pipe, asking him how it smoked. He replied he hadn't smoked it yet but had smoked others by the same maker and that I would not be disappointed.
How long do people wait to smoke a new pipe? Do you hold it for a special moment? Do you have so many that it takes a while to get to a new one?
So far, I have smoked every new pipe within a day or two of receiving it. Am I alone here?

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I have done both scenarios. The pipes are always bought to be smoked, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Others, I have sparked the minute they hit my hand. I have no reasonable explanation.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Just really depends for me, I have a pipe I got six years ago and still have not smoked it. Looks too nice, but I also HATE breaking in a new pipe so I always put it on the back burner. But I also have a couple of estate pipes that I re did and have not smoked them either. So really I have not reason or rhyme.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
You see... I love a new pipe. The first bowl....tasting the wood. It mellows a bit at the second and third. Eventually it becomes a welcome friend or out it goes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How long do people wait to smoke a new pipe? Do you hold it for a special moment? Do you have so many that it takes a while to get to a new one?
Anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 weeks! Sometimes a special moment, sometimes I do have a bunch of new pipes, including estates, that it takes a bit to get to them all. I got a nice Meer in Chicago, two weeks ago, and just haven't fired it up yet; same with a Pete spigot- may sand it down before the first fire.

Dec 24, 2012
For me it varies. Depends on how busy I am too. It is work to break in a new pipe. I believe your PM was about the two Alden bings. I broke one in last weekend in fact, and it smoked great as I expected it would. The other bing remains unsmoked so far. I will get to it eventually.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My impulse is to dive right in as soon as I get it out of the shipping box, or home from the pipe shop or pipe show. Pack it and light it. But I have let several pipes linger. If I buy too many pipes near the same time and want to focus on each one, I'll let the other(s) cool for a while until I can devote full attention. I'm more pleased when I can take my time and take the pipe's measure.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am having thoughts of not smoking my new Weaver when it gets here, and leaving it unsmoked until Christmas as it was designed to be a holiday pipe. Will have to see what happens when it arrives. Usually, I will use a new pipe as an excuse to try a new tobacco, and when I see that the pipe is "Out For Delivery", I will be prepping the tobacco and just be waiting for the mail van!

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have real trouble with this. I tell myself that I am not a collector and I WILL smoke every pipe I buy... but at the moment I have 10 unsmoked pipes... If I don't bring myself to smoke them soon, I will sell half of them...
I have a beautiful cardinal house chimney... a ruby bark dunhill pot, a nice ashton pebble grain pot, an omar king, an imp meer, a kaywoodie delux, zerderkoff, 2 ligne bretanges and a luciano...
I have 12 pipes already in rotation... I think the trick here is to stop buying so many pipes.
I never wanted this to become a hobby... and it kind of is becoming one...
I only wanted to have some nice pipes and great tobaccos to smoke.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I tried to make a ritual of it--I want to christen the pipe at midnight with pomp and fanfare, music, a drink, etc. But I rarely have the patience--i usually fire it up within thirty minutes. Wait for days or months? Impossible!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Are pipes made for smoking? Yes. Do we intend on smoking every pipe we own? Obviously. I think Pecks situation is unique in the pipe world for they are the King of Pipes and their holdings are vast and storied. He's a myth, not a man. He's a conglomerate, made up of a board of directors. He's the fictional figurehead.
My new Michael Parks pipe arrives on Monday. If the photos have accurately depicted this pipe, I'm going to have a VERY difficult time putting a flame to it. For special pipes, one wants a special moment... that might never come, but at least, should magic happen, you can be certain you have the right tool for the moment. I can remember the first smoke for all my pipes, but not the second.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When I got started 'in earnest' about 2 years ago, part of my enjoyment became THE HUNT for ebay estates.

I won't lie, I had a blast bidding, winning, losing, and receiving little boxes with who knows exactly what for sure coming in so much that the mail lady commented that I was the package man.

Between new blends and old pipes I was having box openings every week for weeks. Sometimes several times a week.
Sometimes pipes arrived in unsmoked condition. Honestly? The only unsmoked pipes I've ever christened are cobs.

I even have used estate cobs.

I've kept all the ones unsmoked in that condition. Why? Because I thought (in my delusional and excited fashion) I might be able to PROFIT from their sale!

In fact, most of the pipes I bought were bought with the idea that I could at least get their purchase price back if I were to put them back up on ebay.

Who am I kidding?

I don't have what it takes to become an ebay seller, and I don't really have THAT much tied up in old/new pipes, since I didn't buy from the high end, I searched for the 'buy' end, the cheap auctions of pipes that MIGHT yield a treasure.

For me, they were and are all treasures. I have a Barling, a Dunhill, Comoys, Brebbia, and more. I have meerschaums, cherry wood, maple, and briar. I have bents, straights, billiards, Dublins, pots, and pans. Ok, no pans, but you get the idea. I've really had fun, for maybe the first time in my life, as a 'consumer'.

I don't buy pipes like I used to. I look now and say to myself, 'you don't need another pipe', but if you see one that compels you, go ahead. Life is once.

Someday, I'll smoke a new briar, but I'm in no hurry, now.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
I rarely smoke a pipe I buy new. Typically if its a shape I like its bought for that reason. Or I buy pipes to have a reference to use when I am making a pipe. I typically buy estates. There were 2 pipes I bought new last year from Marinko Neralik @ Mpipes on facebook https://www.facebook.com/MPipes-427159914037672/ I went to Serbia last summer and since I was there headed over to Croatia and picked up 2 pipes and hung out with him for 5 days so it was a special occasion and one of those pipes I will never get rid of.....make that 2 pipes I will not get rid of lol.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Usually I'll smoke a pipe right away when I get it. Some special ones I'll wait a little, especially if I need to do a proper break in or it's a design or material I haven't smoked before (I waited a day on a Morta for an example). I bought an estate meerschaum a week ago that I still haven't smoked since I've been cleaning it and restoring. And I have a Kirsten pipe that's unsmoked and engraved 1971, with all the paperwork, so I'm waiting on the shop to verify what I have before I smoke it.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ akfilm, I was given a nice Pete meer with no stem and I forget by who as part of a trade. I was in the process of making a new stem for it and I broke the shank. To say I was unhappy with myself is a understatement. You I assume have the matching stem to your pipe but all I can say is grasp the shank where it meets up and be careful. Or dont, its your pipe (lol joking). I just REALLY wish I had been paying attention. That's what I get for sitting at the bench for a few hours straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.