PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
At the Richmond show, McCranies had half a dozen unsmoked pre-Cadogan GBD's on the table complete with boxes and bags. I picked up this New Standard #18 Lovat, priced at $79 and thought it would make a great wedding day gift for my perspective son-in-law (wedding June '14). I called my daughter from the show to get her input, but we never connected and I left without it. This past weekend, on another forum, someone had a "what would you buy for $150" thread and one person posted a link to these pipes. I didn't think twice this time.
McCranies is old-school and you pay by check or money order.......AFTER they send you the pipe and you are satisified. The pipe arrived today and boy, am I satisified. There was a little oxidation of the GBD logo, but that shined up in a snap. I just showed it to my wife and asked her if we truly liked this young man, as I'm now having doubts. She said we did and absconded with the pipe. I did get some pictures of this ruby beauty. I think this will make him quite happy and be a good reminder of his life-long commitment to my youngest.

Edit: It is a New Standard (not New Era...)/Al

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's a great find, Al. Maybe you should include it in the pre-nup (just in case). :lol:

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
GBDs have to be the best estate pipe out there, they are cheap and smoke absolutely amazing. Al if your future son in law doesn't like it don't let your daughter marry him he clearly has no taste.

~Ron

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good idea on the pre-nup!
McCranies has a few more left...

http://www.mccranies.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_34&sort=20a&page=1

They had a Virgin grade bent billiard at $159 that tempted me sorely, but it was sold.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Al
Thanks for that link. I ordered the bent billiard. That is excellent to find new pipes in original boxes and sleeves also. It will make an excellent addition to my GBD collection.
I will call the store tomorrow to make sure my order was processed correctly since I have not ordered from them before.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I held that pipe as well flmason, you will be quite pleased! You'll soon receive notification that your order has been processed and then tomorrow you'll receive another email that it has been shipped. They only take a check or money order. I rec'd the shipping notification on a Monday AM and was sure my wife had not even sent the check yet. I called her to ask and she said on the receipt, it said the pipe would be delivered with an invoice to pay AFTER receiving the pipe. Amazing.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I liked that shape Al. Hopefully they might come upon other GBD's like these in the future. I will call tomorrow to see if they have an e mail list that I could be added to. I was even given free shipping on my order so that is an added bonus. It is nice to see business done the old way. I am sure most people do not stiff them and never pay after the item is received.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
That's a beauty Al! I have been focused on Pre Republic Petersons for awhile now. I've recently turned my attention to GBDs. Congrats on a great wedding gift! - bob

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
The pipe I bought was the Prestige Bent Billiard. I spoke with Todd earlier today and was added to the mailing list. He told me that 1 or 2 times a year they are able to buy unsmoked older pipes perhaps from a company going out of business. They also offer free shipping for orders over $100 which is excellent.
I already put my check in the mail today to pay for the pipe.
Thanks again Al for the link. I hope your future son in law enjoys his pipe. It is an excellent and thoughtful gift.

Dec 24, 2012
What a find - i would just lease him the pipe with a term culminating on the termination of their marriage, should that occur. You want to be able to get this baby back if things hit the rails.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I gave him a restored GBD Seventy-Six when they got engaged, so I guess an unsmoked GBD on the wedding is appropriate. I had it sitting on the end table all last night and I kept picking it up and asking the wife if were were sure this was the guy...(he is) If things don't work out, I'm out a lot more than an $80 pipe...one of you guys would have to post bail for me in New Orleans....

Status
Not open for further replies.