Unsmoked Estate Golden Horn Seashell....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This is likely an unsigned Bekler. Bekler was doing a lot of experimentation during this period with Golden Horn before Cano Ozgener recruited him for CAO. Another guy tried to snipe it, but fell short of the mark in the last few seconds, which is great since I got it cheaper than I thought it would take.... It's currently en route to me.... Now, all I have to do is endure THE WAIT....
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/fred/album/picture/2700

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks everyone. The '70's were a time of change in the Meerschaum community, which gave rise to higher quality and artistic merit for Turkish Carvers. Before this, the themes involved a lot of grape leaves & vines, with little variation in shape. A number of Freeform shapes emerged and just about every Carver tried this stretch, but few went beyond the trial stages. In the 1975 Golden Horn Catalogue, Bekler is featured prominently, with a good number of Freeform shapes. My guess is that this Pipe is one of his earlier attempts at taking lessons from nature..., one of the first steps to creating a larger body of themes.

Status
Not open for further replies.