PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Unsmoked 1939 Dunilll
Was anyone else following this one today? I wish I had the funds, but couldn't justify it right now. Someone walked away with a good deal.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Hard to believe that the inner tube has the date code stamped with the same stamp as on the shank. I saw this auction and passed, I think someone got ripped off, although I could be wrong.
Doc

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
He has a second one, ending in two hours. I'm always skeptical of unsmoked pipes, although the seller claims to have purchased it in Milan. I'd have to see inside the shank to proclaim it unsmoked.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNHILL-pipe-patent-number-inner-tube-unsmoked-/291953069385?hash=item43f9c24d49:g:eek:mEAAOSwux5YN5Hb

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Several things seem "off" with that pipe. The button profile (from the top), the speckly-shiny finish, and the radiused chamber rim.
I'd love to have the pipe in hand to check some other stuff. There are some plausible explanations for those things, but to see them all on one specimen simultaneously gives me the SSE (skeptical squinty eye).
zKjQk5.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I was watching that one too. I agree, something just doesn't jive with it. The biggest "red flag" for me was the arched "DUNHILL". That is not correct for a 1939 pipe, and the fonts look a bit off, especially the 111 of the shape number, the 1's almost look like 7's............. :puffy:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Okay guys, I'm an amateur, and it sent bells off. Why, because I compared it to my 1938 Dunhill and my 1920 Dunhill and said "uh, looks suspect". I'm not as pipe educated as you guys, but I read and study about my interests, not to say I haven't been sucked in, but I'm cautious.

M

Hard to believe that the inner tube has the date code stamped with the same stamp as on the shank. I saw this auction and passed, I think someone got ripped off, although I could be wrong.
I say you're right sir. I guess it would have been a good deal if it were real. What got me was the sellers 100% feedback rating with over 500 transactions, and other pipes listed. I thought it must be real, right? So is this person getting away with unloading a bunch of fake Dunhills on eBay? I know it happens, but I've not seen someone just unloading them one after the other on eBay while maintaining a 100% feedback rating.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
This is the inner tube from a 1944 pipe with the /34 version of the patent stamp. Note the tube isn't crushed by the stamp and that date codes haven't ever been part of the tube nomenclature.

That inner tube is fake, and if you have the stamp to emboss a fake inner tube, you have the stamp to emboss a fake pipe.
Doc

May 4, 2015
Maybe someone should tell him before he risks his positive feedback? I know less than nothing about Dunhills, so I'm not gonna - but maybe someone should?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If the listed pipe was bought by the seller "many years ago" as he claims, that would likely put it before the Internet/Ebay era, when pipes fetched nothing like they do today (an estate Dunhill billiard could be bought all day for less than $100 thirty years ago). Which throws still another false note into the proceedings. Namely, it would have had to have been counterfeited BEFORE counterfeiting pipes was an economically viable thing for crooks to do.
Which argues either for originality, or the seller is spinnin' a yarn.
If forced to bet at this moment, based only on the photos and this thread's comments, I'd guess it's a factory pipe by that was "retro-fitted" to look like a Dunhill.
Another point I realized since my previous comment is that Dunhill's wood orders/processes almost never resulted in straight grain orientation, and when it did, the pipe was always given a DR stamp. They were worth considerably more in the market, and making money is any company's reason for existence. That one would not have been overlooked.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Beefeater, Here are photos of my 1938 Dunhill Prince. Second photo is a little blurry but its all there.

Here are a couple of inner tubes from that time-frame

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Another point I realized since my previous comment is that Dunhill's wood orders/processes almost never resulted in straight grain orientation, and when it did, the pipe was always given a DR stamp. They were worth considerably more in the market, and making money is any company's reason for existence. That one would not have been overlooked.
That's the first thing that caught my eye as suspicious.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The Straight Grain also looked like a red flag to me.
If forced to bet at this moment, based only on the photos and this thread's comments, I'd guess it's a factory pipe by that was "retro-fitted" to look like a Dunhill.
My thought also.
I was watching that one too. I agree, something just doesn't jive with it. The biggest "red flag" for me was the arched "DUNHILL". That is not correct for a 1939 pipe...
Yup.
For more, see,
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/interesting-ebay-auctions-1127-sasieni-8-dotscharatan-coronation
"I looked at the seller's other listings, I wouldn't go near ANY of them, just my gut reaction."

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Since this seems to be the Island of Misfit Toys......look at this Parker/Dunhill Hybrid....NOT.....I could make a better Dot, and I'm a rookie.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-PARKER-DUNHILL-Hybrid-Anomaly-Estate-Pipe-BEAUTIFUL-UNSMOKED/172419139920?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D77c43cb744254fbbbaff02030d7e6484%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D291952865510

M

The title on that listing is pretty funny; Vintage Parker/Dunhill Hybrid Anomaly Beautiful Unsmoked? Wow.

May 4, 2015
I love listings like that. They know something is sketchy about it, so they vaguely suggest it's an oddity or factory mistake and that the mystery somehow "adds" to the value.
Play dumb and maybe you won't be held responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.