PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Wow, a birth year Dunhill from Richard Dunhill's collection and I don't have a prayer of ever holding it. Sheesh. I have to stop the self-abuse.
Will...not...log...onto...ebay...any...more...
Yeah, riiiiiiiiight.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
If you have children, get they birth year. Should be a lot less expensive and a great bequest or gift at the right time.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Closest I've come to my birth year is 1948, I was born in 1950. Since it is a pipe that is not something one can easily find I'm happy in calling it close enough, a 1948 DR-R C-EE Dead Root Pot, and yes, it's in better shape than I am! ;)
8528853451_631f1e1e50_o.jpg

8528853503_6d4e9784d1_o.jpg

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Awesome pipe! Perfect grain, not overboard and runs the stem. From my research there's a gap between late 50's and 1961. No mention on 1960. Any Dunhill experts have any information on that?
Craig

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks guys, dragonslayer, I don't have any answer's on your question but there are several Dunhill pipes from 61, 62 and one made in 59 and sold in 60 but it's an ODA which will be pricey, these are on the bay. Any specific shape/finish you are looking for besides being from 1960? Regards...........

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Found the following available in Germany from 1960
A Rhodesian Tanshell
Alfred%20Dunhill%20CN059%201.jpg

A Billiard Root
Alfred%20Dunhill%20CN054%201.jpg

A Billiard Shell in Sacramento CA
Slim pickings to be sure.

estatedunhillpipe1070a.jpg

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Craig, we're chasing the same birth year. Hopefully not the same shape and finish. Thinking of putting my credit card on ice for a bit, though, as I have fallen prey to some serious PAD over the last couple of months. Good luck on your hunt!
Cheers
Steven

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'm looking for a 1956...but haven't seen one yet. My wife looks at me a little funny when I talk about buying a pipe...It's like "Honey, I thought you made pipes...."

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've been looking for an unsmoked birth year (1952, yes, I'm old)Dunhill tanshell group 4-5 billiard for 15-years. No luck yet.
Pipestud

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
For quite some time I had not come across a '62 Dunhill and I began to wonder if they existed at all, then all of a sudden, there it was (picked it up for $125 and it smokes as good as it looks too). Keep looking and good luck!
dunhill62-1.jpg

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Awesome Banjo! It would be the Billard root no doubt. But Roth hit it on the head, and $400 would be closer than $200 *sigh*. I made a deal with the devil (wife) on tobacco purchasing. She is convinced on the tobacco and pipe investment realities and with the upcoming laws and though unknown, the inevitable damnation of the product leading to huge financial weight growing on the industry from the bottom up. So for now it's all about stocking the cellar for use and investment. Pipe collecting will become more and more popular, it already has and will keep growing as more and more people are collecting them. Smokers/ex-smokers/non-smokers are all buying and selling artisan work as they all are one of a kind pieces of art. So until the end of the year it's tobacco and estates that I fix up, or get a great deal on (thanks Sam). My first buy will be a Savinelli Miele for sure, fell in love with that one on release. Then track down the birth year Dunhill, I think it's written somewhere that a serious pipe smoker must have his birth year Dunhill :puffy:

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Found a couple from my birth year (1991,) each around $800 on eBay. Since I'm still in college and don't have a "real" job yet, I think I'll wait a bit... Haha

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
danindayton, I found 3 from 1946 all sold.
Sam, you are indeed fortunate.
smokeytay33, don't give up the one I posted should have sold in the $2400-2800 range and I never would have owned it, instead it was on a little off the wall website for a fraction of that but they set the pricing so I jumped. Of course after reading all the not so good things that can, and do, happen I was nervous until it showed up and it's not only stunning but a fantastic smoker that had been very well taken care of by its previous owner, keep looking.

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.