Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
OK, it’s 2018 and hard to believe I find a pipe marked D&C with loads of engraving. The end of the stummel has this marking and other British hallmarks which I cannot read from the photos, the Amber Stem is capped with silver, it comes in its own brown leather hinged case with a yellow-green velvet lined interior. The shape is a Bulldog shape and to top it all off it was made in 1913 and has never been smoked! I will of course dig further but if anyone knows what British Pipemaker used D&C as its marking I’d appreciate knowing, thanks in advance.

banjo
43216866420_45ef2f82e3_o_d.jpg

44117042915_2fc30ab6a0_o_d.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That truly is a beautiful piece of history! It makes sense that many of us would probably be hesitant to smoke an unsmoked pipe of that age, but I'm partially hoping that you'll smoke it :puffy:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I searched English makers and couldn't find anything. Gorgeous pipe. As someone who buys and smokes century old pipes a word of caution...old briar that is exposed to steam can crack very easily. I've had it happen twice and I think Duane (Chasing Embers) had a catastrophic failure on one of his. But, life itself is risk. I say smoke it. I would.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Banjo, all I've got, and it's a maybe, is: Arthur BAYMAN trading as DAVIES & CO - London.
http://www.silvercollection.it/DICTIONARYTOBACCONISTD.html
:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That looks like it could be a match, if there are any other sources on it to corroborate it. To state the obvious, the pipe looks decidedly high-end with its metal work, finish, case and stem. That suggests that there should be some record of it otherwise. Calling London....

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Banjo, all I've got, and it's a maybe, is: Arthur BAYMAN trading as DAVIES & CO - London.
Noble try, but I think it's a miss. According to your source, the assay office would be Chester and this pipes sports a leopard's head on the hallmarks, which is London. Of course, the info could be wrong or incomplete.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Other possibilities:
Edward Durban & Co. Chester
https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Chester-D.html
I'm not finding any London based makers marks that would match, on this site or the others that I've checked. Unfortunately, there's no one place that has correlated all of this info, and all of this info is still very incomplete.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks everyone, when it arrives I may be able to find more than the horrible photos show, it pains me that a pipe this elegant, and historical, had such lousy photos to represent it!

banjo

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
jesse, another difficulty (besides the geography) is that the example given of the Durban hallmark is actually D&Co., with the "o" in company raised as a superscript. I see no evidence of an "o" on Banjo's pipe. Not conclusive, but I suspect we're looking for another silversmith

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I've got an obscure guess, but it's only that. i started by looking for london-based pipe mfrs of the time (1910-1915) consisting of partners whose last names began with "d" and then "c". zilch. then i began looking for silversmiths. here i struck tin. in 1910 there were two neighbors on tottenham court road: james dodimead, of 50 tottenham court, sold electrical accessories; and william campbell, of 40 tottenham court, was a jeweler. in the 1911 census campbell is listed as retired, and dodimead is listed as a jeweler. in 1914 william died, and in the post office directory issued later that year james dodimead is listed as "dodimead, james (late william campbell), diamond merchant, goldsmith, silversmith & jeweller. 40 tottenham court"
so if you want a very longshot guess, here one is: william campbell retired in the years immediately before his death, say 1911-13, and at some point he passed the business and its premises along to his neighbor james dodimead; perhaps during a brief transitional period the business was called dodimead & campbell, and utilized hallmarks that read d&c.
that's an awful lot of supposition to load onto one little pipe, but for now it's the best i can do. i can think of several reasons why this might be a false trail, but it's worth thinking about all the same. unfortunately as jesse said information regarding uk silversmiths and their hallmarks is scattered around many places and a theory like this can be hard to prove (although a book by john culme is very helpful, if difficult to find).
in any case it's a beautiful pipe and a remarkable find!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah, I saw the Co, and it's the wrong damned town to boot. But I struck out with a D&C London maker's mark on any of the sites I checked.
If you're going to smoke that pipe, tread cautiously. The wood on unsmoked pipes that old can be very fragile and can split. You can coat the walls with a silicate compound mixed with charcoal and that will offer some insulation. Check with Georged.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks again folks, I had planned to thread softly on will I or won’t I smoke it, I’ll see if Georged pokes his head in on the thread and offers some advice, regards.

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.