PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm on a roll today, it seems. A few months ago, I saw a pipe tool/tamper that had a thong on it. My regular tamper broke (I'll be cautious now about tamper that are attached to tools; they are apparently glued on and will eventually fall off) and I need a quality replacement, as well as one that is aesthetically pleasing. (Yes, the cheap Czech tool is reliable, and I'm glad I had one as a spare, but they are ugly as hell, and I like quality pipe accessories.) Does anyone remember this tool and where I can get it?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not sure about the one you are talking about, but Vojko Savor makes some interesting pieces.
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=vojko+savor+pipe+tamper&isNewKw=1&_sop=12&_pgn=1&epp=24&itemId=&fads=1&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&sqp=vojko+savor+pipe+tamper&trksid=p2053742.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xvojko+savor+pipe+tamper

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Actually, guys, I should have said "tamper/pipe tool," since I like a combined tamper with the pick and reamer/scraping blade. I have one very nice dedicated tamper made by Stephen Downie, to go with the custom pipe he made me, the Vampire's Wand:

d12-600x452.jpg

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Those are cool as hell. I have a buddy who made a tamper out of some old gun parts and an antler. Its kind of like civil war era soldier art.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is a beautiful set! Usually, I use one of Brebbia's pipe nails, but for my Weaver pieces, I have one of Tsuges's cumberland tampers. I do collect unsusual ones, but they are mostly just to look at.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I've considered blacksmithing up some pipe tools in the past, vintage inspired. Maybe a tamper, pick, and reamer on a ring... less likely to be lost that way if kept on the keys or something. Maybe I need to think about doing it again.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I looked up the tamper/pipe tools at the link Ron123 gave me, then wrote an email about the price: the darn things cost from $300-$500! I think I'll stick with more conventional tampers unless I discover I'm Donald Trump's long lost son. In which case I'd have to shoot myself.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here's the tamper tool I was interested in:

653__550x550_btool2.jpg

And it only costs about $300. Can anyone float me for a loan? To be paid for about 30 years from now?

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I'm on a roll today, it seems. A few months ago, I saw a pipe tool/tamper that had a thong on it. My regular tamper broke...
I also noticed the thong-pipe tool at the beginning... :worship:

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
And it only costs about $300. Can anyone float me for a loan? To be paid for about 30 years from now?
By the same maker, but more expensive:

16234.jpg

From here:

http://www.pipeshop.ru/index.php?x=0&y=0&search=zapzap&page=3

jmmize

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2014
Ebay and Etsy have some good choices....less that 300 bucks I might say..!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
We ARE talking about something used occasionally to push down ashes ... right? 8O
Lol ... I do kinda like the "steam punk" tamper menuhin posted though.

Status
Not open for further replies.