PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralegha

Lurker
Dec 27, 2017
I have recently acquired a unique Bewlay Spiral that has a provisional patent number. I own several Bewlay pipes but have never seen this before.

I was hoping someone here may have seen these markings before and could shed some light on its maker and date of manufacture.

the stamps read "Bewlay

Spiral"

and "PROV. PAT

26049"

not sure how to put pictures on this forum but I have them. The pipe is a bulldog shape. not the original stem and sadly with that, no spiral stinger. it's still a cool little pipe though.
Thanks for the help.
PR

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
This one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEWLAY-Spiral-Bulldog-Briar-Straight-Estate-Pipe-/232571695941?hash=item36265a7345%3Ag%3Am2IAAOSwGUBaFc5u&nma=true&si=7pw6wnSV%252Fj65d926MpuGYzFDShM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A photo would help immensely.
Here's one way:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice.

ralegha

Lurker
Dec 27, 2017
Hi Dave,

that's the one. when I saw it on ebay I couldn't tell what was stamped on the opposite side of the Bewlay Spiral stamp. It took me a while to scrub the grime off and reveal the PROV. Pat 26049. I repaired the cracks and finally got the oxidation off the stem so it looks better now.

I'll work on the photo upload.
thanks again.
PR

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
spiral-600x450.jpg

spiral2-600x450.jpg

I must say, the fit of the stem to the shank looks pretty spot on. Just going by the style of the button, I'd say definitely pre-war. Does the pipe have a conventional slot, or an orific opening?

ralegha

Lurker
Dec 27, 2017
it has a slot opening but unlike any other Bewlay I own. the stem is a good fit but as I cleaned the oxidation off I could see a faint three leaf clover directly top and center of stem. the tenon is also cut dead center from front to back (or top to bottom depending on how you hold it. it looks machine cut but also like nothing from a Bewlay I have seen. like if you put a saw blade over the top of a hole at the end of a tube and cut straight down.

these Bewlay's are keeping me up at night.
PR

ralegha

Lurker
Dec 27, 2017
Okay, two photos loaded in album.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/ralegha/album
this was before the restoration. you can see the nice crack in the bowl. it patched up well. I'll test it out in a few days.
Thanks for the help with this.
PR

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, and if you open the larger image, you get the URL to paste in the IMG box.
Also, if you remove the size delimiter, (-600x337), you get the largest image the site can provide.
1220171413_hdr_resized.jpg

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
have a look at the Bewlay pipe thread with pictures. Its on here but i cant do links.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
That Bewlay Spiral bulldog is shaped exactly like my pre war Orlik Bruyere Antique shape A 28

ralegha

Lurker
Dec 27, 2017
Very interesting. It turned out to be a good smoker. I've had pretty good luck with these pipes.Maybe another Orlik made Bewlay then.

Thanks for the info Jensen.

Status
Not open for further replies.