PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
I was wondering whom are the biggest pipe tobacco producers? I have heard the name "lane" but whom are some of the other big hitters?

Is it not simular to General Motors? they make chevrolet, and cadilac.. and used to make pontiac.. I see lane as a simular to GM and captain black is like chevrolet... do I understand correctly?

Is BCA tobacco a lane exclusive blend? and what does it really mean? also looking for whom else makes a nice black sweet mild tobacco..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cornell and Diehl come to mind.
In any event, there are several hundred blenders, from tiny to large, and there's little parallel with the auto industry in the US.
Who makes a black and sweet but mild tobacco? I like Smyrna.

C&D, while one of the absolute best tobaccos, is not a big company at all with limited US distribution. Lane Ltd is just one of many owned by Scandinavian Tobacco Group, which is relatively large. Then Mac Barens/Sutliff comes to mind, as they have several smaller labels as well. These are international and way larger. Stokkebye is probably rather large, comparatively. But, keep in mind that large for pipe tobacco is not exactly what we might be thinking. We are still a niche industry. So, there probably is never enough Escudo rolling out of the factory to fill an 18 wheeler. More like boxes at a time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic has it right. There are a few huge corporations that own an array of name companies. Several of the most-admired blenders on Forums are pretty small but known to us because we pay close attention to new and specialized blends.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Lane and Sutliff are two of the biggest in the US. They produce a lot of blends for other labels as well as their own. In Europe I would guess Mac Baren, Scandinavian Tobacco Group, Kolhase and Kopp, and Planta. There are a number of other, smaller blenders.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
To put it into perspective, it appears that STG does about $285 M in sales per year versus Philip Morris at $78 B. So STG is about 1/2 % the size of PM. I think that puts things into perspective. And pipe tobacco is only a small portion of their sales.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
@hoosierpipeguy makes an excellent point. Unfortunately, it’s a big reason that we pipe guys get hammered by taxes and recently by new bureaucrat generated regulations. We’re the small dog in the kennel. - - Even pot smokers have more political pull in some states.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I really do not believe smokers, particularly pipe smokers are "hammered" any more than any other

American, Brit, or ... pick your nationality, with taxes. Gasoline, income, sales, luxury, inventory, school, and the list goes on, pick dollars, euros, etc. out of every ones wallets. And, out of most of those, tobacco is a tax we pay through a choice we made. One shouldn't feel sorry for one's self for taxes paid through personal choices. We smokers are an easy target, get used to it. And, as everything is "political" so it is also social. We smokers simply need to get used to it. Like the salmon, we are swimming against the current, ripe for harvest.
Base costs and taxes are the primary reason I do not encourage people to take up smoking. Health concerns are not something youngsters usually concern themselves. They believe themselves immortal. It is a totally unnecessary expense that we opt in for. Each of us, should we chose, can opt out. It's a luxury, decried by the general public, taxed heavily, not conducive to good health, and we or, at least I, knew that when I took up smoking back in the early sixties. Hell, my mother was on the local board of the American Cancer Society. I was not the brightest bulb in four-pack.
I do believe that each of us should have one, wee vice. Mine is smoking, I can afford it, enjoy it and the taxes are simply part of the deal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable sums it up with blessed brevity. You could write a book on the subject, but that's a paragraph that speaks volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.