PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here is a pipe I picked up on eBay. Now I realize most guys are not going to like this thing, but I'm drawn to pipes a little out of the ordinary, especially if the price is right. This is why I win most of the auctions I bid on. :)
It's marked "Contempo" and "Italy" on the bottom. From what I can tell, Contempo was a short lived men's fashion concern of some type in the 1970's. I couldn't find out what manufacture in Italy actually made the pipe. Contempo now makes pipes that are all what could be considered "paraphernalia" now, if that is still the same company.
I didn't need to do a whole lot of work on this, just cleaning, polishing and sanitizing. I just burned some FMOTB in it and it was a superb smoking experience. There was a kind of strange "lavender" ghost flavor coming through towards the end of the smoke, but I think it will wear off soon since it appears the pipe was only smoked a few times. If nothing else it will make a good shop pipe.
contempo_zps73e59a79.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I can see what drew you to this one! Even though I'm not a fan of acrylic stems like this -- and the "jewelry" on the shank isn't to my taste -- it's ringing some kind of bell for me. Maybe it's all the similar pipes I saw when I worked at a pipe shop in the early 80s. It definitely feels "of its time." But I get it.
And, yes, as others have said: Not an "ugly duckling" at all! Good find!
Bob

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I like it! Kinda reminds me of the Duncan Hill Aerospheres which I always liked.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Well, maybe it's not so ugly, just not a great design. I've been told that if a design has more than three "affectations" it is a bad design. In this case, the pipe has the two gold rings, the black band, the three silver "bullets" and the yellow stem, so it's on the excess side for sure. It's great for home use since it smokes really well and feels good on the teeth when clenching. And it was only $15.00 including shipping. Couldn't pass it up.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
tuold said:

... it was only $15.00 including shipping.
Not only is it NOT an ugly duckling, it's a good looking pipe at a fantastic price ... given your description of it as a "superb smoker", I'd say you really scored on that one ...

Status
Not open for further replies.