PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Man, I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but everything tastes like SALT! All of my pipes, no matter what tobacco... Salt, salt, salt, salt, salt. Everything tastes briny and salty. Ick!! It started a couple of days ago, but it's just gotten worse and worse. Looks like I'm taking an enforced break from my pipes for a few days, until this clears up. Anyone else experienced this?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Only when drinking those wonderful briny single malts from Islay! But seriously, no. Never has happened to me, and I'm pretty sensitive to salt.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I haven't had a salty pipe, but they will turn sour if you don't clean and rest your pipes.

You can try cleaning the stem and shank with a pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol or whiskey. Let them rest a day or two before using them.

Careful not to get the alcohol on the exterior of the briar, it will strip the finish from the wood.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Well, that's the thing: I don't have a cold. I never get sick. I don't have allergies. I suspect I have a scorched tongue and that's what's doing it. I've been smoking a LOT. I'm fortunate that I have a job and home that allow me time for my pipe, but I think I've overdone it on the Latakia blend. LOL

i8ball

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2014
i had a similar reaction to pine nuts were it is an allergy and it made everything i drank taste like i had a nickle in my mouth mabe you ate something and its affecting your taste towards smoke. just a thought

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
77999607aideh_sm.jpg

Strange, there's a few blends like Plum Pudding that have a salty taste I love, same with Macbaren's Old dark fired, I find it gets salty towards the end, like how a good cigar does. Do you have dedicated pipes for lat blends etc...?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've definitely had that experience before, though it's been a while. It seems to mostly happen with latakia blends or when I've been smoking them a lot. They haven't chimed in here, yet, but I've heard other people say the exact same thing -- tobaccos taste salty. I think an enforced break -- even a day or two -- will help.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sure. Give it a rest for a week or so. Things may taste much better. Meantime, clean the pipes per posts.

I had that once. My dentist told me that I had overloaded my taste buds, and the default taste is salt. I think I was smoking a latakia at the time. But, I am sure that it was just smoking a stronger blend too much.

I just used the Biotene ore often and started brushing more frequently. And, I worked in more blends that were lighter in flavors.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I happen to like a salty edge in the flavors of most tobaccos, but what you describe seems to be cloying.

I've found that Latakia, Cajun Black, Dark Fired Kentucky, some stoved leaf, and many Burley blends produce a salty taste.
What Cosmicfolklore said resonates with me. Try switching to lighter Va flakes, like
  • Capstan Gold

Klondike Gold,

Sam Gawith Medium Va Flake,

Solani 633 & 660,

Sillem's Mayor 1814,

F&T Cut Virginia Plug

most Navy flakes.
Also, residual tastes in the pipe, ghosting, may contribute to the problem -- even after switching-up.

Mar 1, 2014
Frankenstein, I know it's not necessarily a joking matter, but it would be really interesting to see if someone with overloaded taste buds still tastes salt with something like Samuel Gawith Grousemoor (heavy lakeland, will permanently alter pipes).

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
The same thing happened to me after about a month of smoking a pipe in earnest (after years of only smoking one occasionally). While I stubbornly pressed on and it resolved itself in a couple of weeks, in retrospect the advice given of taking a few days off is probably the best remedy to the problem you are experiencing.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Thanks, everyone. I have been smoking a LOT of latakia blends. I love the stuff. I've not really taken a break, but I'm smoking far less, and that's giving my tastebuds a break, I think. I'm also smoking a lot slower, and that's helping, as well. I appreciate all the advice, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who's experienced this. Much appreciated.

Oct 16, 2014
I was looking to post concerning my very similar experiences when coincidentally I found this thread.
I'm a newbie working through various tobaccos and now have 4 pipes, so none are being overworked. I've kept the aromatics mainly to 2 non briars. I smoked 25g of Gawith & Hoggarth Kentucky Nougat (am in the UK) it's a Latakia/Virginia/Cavendish aromatic blend, and initially found it quite pleasant, so bought a further 50g and "Oh my god!" something awful has happened!
I haven't yet used alcohol to clean any of my pipes (still trying to source the non drinkable 70%+ strength stuff) but all are cleaned after every use, pipe cleaners and bowl and I've also done a little reaming. Am therefore of the conclusion that the sour salty taste (bit like a rusty nail?) I've also been experiencing has more to do with the tobacco than anything else?
This sourness lands on the tongue and it feels like it's producing a rush of saliva yet instead it dries the mouth and leaves an unpleasant lingering dryness. It's still present now, 8 hours after my last smoke. I must admit this latest 50g smells a lot like someone has way overdone the fragrance technique. Tobacco here in the UK is expensive and despite being minded to return this to my tobacconists, I don't wish to put the relationship onto a confrontational basis. Tobacconists are few and far between here. I may however phone the manufacturer.
The link below is to tobacco reviews, and one smoker in his review echoes my exact experiences:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3716/gawith-hoggarth-co-kentucky-nougat
I am hoping this is simply down to my choice of tobacco? I find it hard to believe that it could otherwise affect all 4 pipes I currently own?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
When I first started smoking a pipe, Exclusiv Royal was my only tobacco. After a month or two I sufffered from sweet lip. It seemed my lips were coated in a delicious but strange sweetener. After reading up on it, I attributed the experience to the tobacco.
Currently I enjoy the odd bowl of Exclusiv Royal, but the sweet lip sensation has never returned.
However, I'll take sweet lip over salty any day!

Status
Not open for further replies.