PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
So, I made my way to The Tobacco Bowl to check out that Charatan. Let me tell you, it was a HELL of a journey. Rush hour, hurried drivers, ladies getting ON the interstate while texting. The whole shabang. Anyway, the pipe was listed at $200 but he said he'd sell it for $150. If it had been a billiard, or something along the lines of a bent brandy, I probably would have caved. I wound up walking out with these, and four more ounces of PS LNF... XD.

Neither pipe has any name nor logo nor stamping of any kind, other than "MADE IN HOLLAND" printed in white letters on the stem.

Both seem to be drilled perfectly, at least from looking at them. They both smoke great, however, I'm certain I'll have to get a Rad before I no longer encounter gurgle.
If these are seconds, any guesses on who's seconds they might be?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Most seconds have a brand name of some sort, at least the ones I've seen do. I'm not sure these are "seconds", but rather "basket pipes". Nothing wrong with that, but without an imprint of some kind it's difficult to identify them (even if they were a little more in focus).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Made in Holland," no problem. Perhaps Big Ben seconds. The Dutch are perfectionistic

crafts people. It is there joy and pleasure to do things exactly and right. And they're fussy

about materials. My brother-in-law grew up in Rotterdam and occasionally works with

a carpenter or other workman at our old family home. One of the senior guys used to

call him "the engineer," for his ability to line up new steps and other projects with

great care. It's not that easy to find Dutch pipes, so to happen on these was lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.