Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Yesterday was a cool one and a good time to sit outside and enjoy a pipe or two. I wanted to try out a recently purchased Beattie Jet lighter. I remember the old men in the 50's shooting the flame down into their pipes with these interesting lighters. The technique is once burning the lighter is tilted forward to heat a tube that shoots a flame out about 2 inches.
The first bowl was loaded with too damp EMP (it did smoke OK but lacked flavor). It was dried a bit but who can wait. Matches were used until the last third of the bowl. I fired the jet flame down into the tobacco. UGH! The taste was harsh acrid and stayed for 2 or 3 minutes. Must have been the fuel. Lesson 1: Matches are better and the Beattie cam be used for soldering or lighting fires. Even the Zippo with the butane pipe insert was waaay better.
The first bowl of EMP was over to soon. It nice but did not deliver the usual flavor. The second bowl was dried in the sun for an hour. It was bone dry but not crumbly. The drier tobacco was a delight and ended up a dry grey ash at the heel. Lesson 2: drier EMP is much better.
I seem to keep on learning. Happy puffing! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.