Two KBB Cleaning And Repair Updates

(5 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by mayfair70
  • Latest reply from mayfair70
  1. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Hey Folks. I am done with my Yello-Bole Filter Brush Dublin for now. I re-glued the push-tenon back into the stem with a CA gel, removed what was left of the clear-coat, scrubbed the whole thing down and gave it a finish application to bring out the grain. Luckily the stem was in great shape. There are a couple pinhole sized fills I may, or may not, attend to in the future. The Yellow coating in the bowl is somewhat intact.

Before

After

I am still working on the KBB Yello-Bole Apple. The stem needs a lot of work, but I got the lacquer off and the finish is where I want it for now. Again there are a couple pinholes I may, or may not, mess with in the future. When I decide to further erode/destroy my Dr. Grabow to harvest the briar dust, these two will be the first recipients of the transplanted briar.

Before

After

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

gmjabsky

Login to Send PM

How'd you get the lacquer off...abrasive or chemicals? I just got a Kaywoodie that's similarly finished.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

I used cotton balls and acetone. Basically nail polish remover. Just make sure it says acetone in the ingredients. It comes of rather quickly and thoroughly. I used no abrasives at all. It does dry out the wood a bit. I then give it a good going over with a very moist washcloth to remove any chemical residue. Make sure to keep it out of the bowl and remove the stem before doing it. Oh, and don't inhale the fumes. Use in a well ventilated area, of course.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pick up a mini briar block or two and use that for your dust. You'll not only save a pipe, but the dust won't have any additives like lacquer, old wax, etc. and you'll have plenty left over if you need to cut a piece for larger repairs.

RESPECT THE PIPE!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. mayfair70

mayfair70

Login to Send PM

Thanks piffyr, I'll do that. You do fantastic work by the way. I must confess, I have rather enjoyed slowly dissecting and deforming the Grabow. It has been my "practice" piece. In a twisted kind of way, I want to see how far I can push before it gives in. I would never show it to a true collector in its current state, they would faint!

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alaskanpiper, dcon, gorillafly, mso489, ashdigger, brooklynpiper, clickklick, cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, ron123