PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
I just received a new Meerschaum Pipe from the Meerschaum Store made by Tekin. It is a Floral Churchwarden with a Silver band on the stem.

I have already had a Bent Billard carved with little hole designs made by SWS. My question is which one is the more valuable of the two or should I say better made???
Thank's,
Jon :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi Jon,

Of course the brand meerqueen you purchased from meerschaumstore.com is more valuable and better from every aspect.

I am saying this because the pipe you have purchased is in diamond series and has a briar type teflon tenon connection and

Made of premium block meerschaum (grade 6 out of 6)

It is signed by master artisan Tekin who is the master artisan of meerschaumstore and meerqueen brand for 15 years.workmanship is 6 out of 6.

I can say more things but it should be enough

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
As much as I could say, "Of course Meerqueen would say that a Meerqueen pipe is better," I think they're right. Master-carvers often obtain better-quality block, and Tekin carves very well.
That being said, if they both smoke well, and you like both, I don't know if comparative value need matter as much.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I've run into this as well OP and I think it's a question best directed to the vendor (and shared here). This sms pipe is signed by Tekin and the carving is excellent, beyond this I have no information about the pipe. I have a hard time imagining an inferior block would be used for such a pipe or that a briar style tenon/mortise would be abandoned for a screw type, but those are questions I would like answered prior to purchase.
http://www.therightpipe.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.viewProduct&productId=2120&catId=456
What's really interesting to me is that the same company, SMS, also has pipes made and signed by Fikri Baki. I was under the impression that Mr Baki was only making pipes under his own brand imported to the US by Deniz Ural.
Hi Jon,

Of course the brand meerqueen you purchased from meerschaumstore.com is more valuable and better from every aspect.

I am saying this because the pipe you have purchased is in diamond series and has a briar type teflon tenon connection and

Made of premium block meerschaum (grade 6 out of 6)

It is signed by master artisan Tekin who is the master artisan of meerschaumstore and meerqueen brand for 15 years.workmanship is 6 out of 6.

I can say more things but it should be enough
DO you have any information about SMS and why Mr Goh's would make pipes differently for two different vendors? Thanks.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi,

Tekin is the master carver of meerschaumstore.com since 1999.The diamond series of Meerqueen brand are created with Tekin and our experts.

Most quality ones goes to meerschaumstore.com
As you can see most Tekins pipes in sms site has a classic plastic connection while Meerqueen diamond series has briar type teflon tenon connection with acrylic stem.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
What do you think of this one?

Thinking of pulling the trigger.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Meer-Queen-Meerschaum/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=155484

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Not bad, but maybe try an IMP? Here's one in the same general shape on eBay. Just seems strange that a guy with the handle @meerqueen is providing 'light up the butt' responses in regards to MeerQueen and Tekin. Don't get me wrong, the brand is awesome and uses the highest quality block, but there are other very well made options on the market. Seems like there's some brand promotion going on here. There's nothing wrong with that as the guy's not lying.. MeerQueen pipes are nice and some of the best, but you do have options. by the way, I also think that SMS pipes are good pipes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TURKISH-BLOCK-MEERSCHAUM-IMP-FREEHAND-BLOWFISH-PIPE-WITH-FITTED-CASE-/272092390939?hash=item3f59f8661b:g:tRIAAOSw9N1Vv4dU
It's got a vulcanite stem! Should make a great clencher if that's your thing?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
mothernaturewill,

Thanks man, I have an IMP and it is my favorite smoker over all my briars and cobs, that's why I want to get a few more meers into my rotation. I'm not a clencher.

Status
Not open for further replies.