PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Smoking a pipe has been very difficult for me. I burnt my tongue bad on the first day and swore never to do it again. Since then its been a struggle keeping my tongue comfortable. Its been in a state of constant disarray. Not bitten, but not right either. I read about aromatics being the number one offender when it comes to tongue bite so i shied away from them. Cigrmaster sent me a bunch of aromatics and i wanted to try them really bad, but was a coward. Tonight I was watching Lost and smoking some Newminster English Oriental which has became my new fave, when i figured out what sipping really was. I could keep smoke in my mouth constantly for a long time without getting bitten, and not taking long breaks. I could taste the tobacco so much better. I was really happy. So i got some kahunas and went for the Newminster Blackberry Brandy that Cigrmaster had sent me. I had been thinking about it all day on account of its tin note. Smells good enough to eat. I am halfway through the bowl now and it is really tasty stuff. It will be in my rotation for sure. So i figured out how to properly smoke, and got to smoke an aromatic!!!! I can't wait for my tongue to fully recover. This has been an amazing day!!!!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I seem to get a little bite from Aros as well. I just smoke very slowly and it seems to not be a problem. One that really gives me bite problems is Virginia blends for some reason. What aros do you have?

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
About a week into pipe smoking, is when I had my first "ah ha" moment. It really is an amazing event.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Good for you Shawn ! "Slowly does it" is indeed the pipe smokers monniker.
Also, with aros, given their usually higher moisture content, what you are experiencing is most likely tongue burn, not bite. The higher moisture content will result, when puffed fast, in steam. Steam burns. Tongue bite is a chemical reaction to a certain tobacco type, believe it or not, mostly caused by Burleys because of their higher alkalinity.
For some good reading on bite vs. burn, here's some good articles by Master Ouelette:

Misconceptions Redux

Burley, the Rodney Dangerfield of Pipe Tobaccos

And one article about all the different tobacco strains & groupings:

Tobacco Types
Happy reading & puffing (or should that be sipping ??) :mrgreen:

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Thanks Mick. My grandfather hated pipe smokers. He called them "pipe suckers". It was when we got behind them while driving mostly. He used to say "Fu@%ing pipe sucker. Get out of my way. Pipe suckers are the slowest people on the planet." HEHE. If he was around now i would say to him "We are not slow, we just aren't in a hurry. Here Grandpa, sip on this and relax. Enjoy life a little." He would still hate us....

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
When I came back to pipes after a long break, I had some unfortable moments with my tongue getting irritated as well. Even with all the years before I smoked pipes, it was like a learning curve all over again.
I picked up a bottle of Biotene mouthwash on a recommendation I found online for tongue bite. That stuff made a huge difference. Very highly recommended.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 on the Biotene ! Stuff works miracles. My dentist also recommended a different mouthwash called "Breath RX" for daily use. It's not cheap, but it does seem to work quite well and dry out the mouth less than your regular brands. It seems to be more gentle on the gums and stuff, which he warned me about being a pipe smoker. Good oral hygiene is critical for pipe smokers, more so than for cigarette smokers.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Funny how you sit there thinking, "But I am going slow!" and then you figure it out and go, "Wait a minute here. I was really going too fast all along!"
Culprits for me were packing too tight and then puffing too fast to keep the pipe lit and unknowingly speeding up my cadence with activity. I was one of the few who actually needed to pack looser, not tighter. I didn't like the idea of relights, but then I realized if I puff too fast, the stuff at the bottom will get soggy and I'm gonna have to relight anyway.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Even after smoking a while, I still need a reminder once in a while to reevaluate my technique. There's always something out there to improve upon. Thanks for starting this thread with helpful reminders.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Biotene is on the way. I was packing way to tight. Drying tobacco is sometimes essential. My tongue is still in disarray, but better. I tried to take a day off, but that wasn't happening. Chris sent me a pipe and some new tobacco and i culdn't resist. I'm weak :crying: But i have only smoked 2 bowls so far. Sipping is hard, but you do taste the tobacco better for sure. I don't know why it's so hard to slow down. I have to though or i may never taste food again. lol I can'tr Quit now, i like it with exception top the tongue thing, and i have a lot of product to try and smoke. About 3 pounds. This will be a discipline, something I'm lacking in. And patience, I don't even want to talk about my lack of patience. That's a whole new thread. Thanks for the info guys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.