PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
trypis_132520_1-600x450.jpg

I like this pipe. Having my first smoke from it as I type this. It is light and hangs well from the teeth. Smokes cool with alot of air flow. I'm smoking a half bowl of Solani Sweet Mystery.
I like ALL of my Trypis pipes. They smoke great once there's a little cake in the bottom of the bowl and they smoke cool everytime. Brigham's smoke the same way so I think that's why I like Trypis' pipes so much. I really like the rustication on this one b/c every 'patch' is different but they all line up and make a wonderful piece to look at from every angle.
Mr. Trypis is a master pipe maker, IMO, and I'm VERY proud to be able to own 5 of his masterpieces. They may be older pipes but they have never been smoked so they are just begging to be smoked and enjoyed!

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the update. I'm glad they're smoking well for you and only regret that I couldn't buy one or two more at the time.

Aug 1, 2012
Have one myself can't believe they aren't listed at 300 plus.
I completely agree. I know I don't have much experience but this one smoked well and tasted good from the first puff and has only gotten better. It's got beautiful grain and a comfy stem to boot.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Have one myself can't believe they aren't listed at 300 plus.

I completely agree. I know I don't have much experience but this one smoked well and tasted good from the first puff and has only gotten better. It's got beautiful grain and a comfy stem to boot.
+1 from me. The Trypis Churchwarden is absolutely GRAND! Look, feel, smokeability. Same class as Dunhill.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Is there a pic of yours somewhere on here? I'd like to see it. I love the grain on the square panel one (review #3) It flows with the length of the bowl and follows it up. I have looked around online for value of them, but TBH I really don't care. I researched Philip Trypis and found a little on his history and I was sold. When I saw the pipes for the first time and held them in my hand I knew they had to be mine. TBH I only looked at three and decided to buy all 5 because I was that sure they were great smokers and they are. Just like captainsousie said above, 'good from the first one and only getting better'.
Question for the other Trypis owners on here. Did you line your bowls with honey and let it soak into the clay? I did and noticed that after the fist two 'halfies' there was already cake in the heel and from where the tobacco was packed to :)

Aug 1, 2012
Here's a pic I lifted from the auction. It's one of those that pruss was selling. I'll have to try and get a couple more pics to show off the grain.
img_A_101254_d52f60a025d8a2902e5fc2cc5199c800.jpg

No honey coating here but after a couple smokes with Carter Hall a bit of cake was already building. I have to find a couple more Trypis pipes before the summer is over.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Question for the other Trypis owners on here. Did you line your bowls with honey and let it soak into the clay?
Nope. 10 bowls of Carter Hall, with increasing fill height from a single pinch for the first smoke, to a full bowl for the tenth was all that was needed to get a nice even cake. The reddish brown coating that Trypis applies to the inside is already sticky/rough enough to get a good cake going real fast.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
The reddish brown coating that Trypis applies to the inside is already sticky/rough enough to get a good cake going real fast.
I find it dries my throat and mouth out and leaves and awful taste in my mouth if I don't coat it with honey. I've tried it a few times and it's the same everytime. I use very very little and let it soak into the clay liner or precarb and it has worked everytime. Everyone is different and that's what makes this all so cool!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm chuffed to hear that these pipes are breaking in so well for you guys.
I took a flyer on picking up that collection of Trypis pipes on the off-chance that I would be able to turn them around to new homes where they'd be well enjoyed... looks like stellar results so far.
I am breaking in three at the moment, and my experience has been much like those described above. The pipes draw really well, they are easy to smoke cool, and the thick walls are wonderful. The three pipes I've kept all have some slight defect, chip in rim, scuffs from a drop, or some other blemish. I couldn't bring myself to sell these, and am really glad I didn't. They are just wonderful smokers. Unlike Cavendish, I've really enjoyed the light briar aromatic that the naked bowls infused the first few smokes out of each pipe. That light pine/balsa note was really pleasing, especially when smoking Orientals.
Anyway, thanks for picking these pipes up lads, and I am SO pleased that they are working for you.
Cheers,
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.