PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsquat

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Okay I have recently bought and restored an estate Peterson 313. Over the last few days I have tried smoking various tobaccos in this pipe however cannot seem to keep anything lit. So far I've tried Escudo, bald headed teacher and Dunhill EMP (which seems to smoke well in my other pipes including a peterson 307) but none of them stay lit for more than a few minutes. I might also add that I've tried different packing methods, slowing my cadence and sipping rather than puffing. It has been raining for the last few days as well and I always smoke outside under the patio. So my question is; is this problem due to the pipe bowl shape being very small and narrow or could it be the weather making the humidity too high to keep the tobacco burning?

drsquat

Lurker
May 11, 2014
Guess I'll reply to myself because it looks embarrassing to have only one post on this thread.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
could it be the weather making the humidity too high to keep the tobacco burning?
Sounds like that may be the answer. Welcome to the forums my friend...

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I hate to say this, but for me some pipes are just hard to keep lit. I do believe that the tobacco and the packing has something to do with it, but that said, I've gotten rid of pipes that have this constant problem no matter what I do. I still have one or two that are a little troublesome, but I like them enough to keep using them with certain tobaccos. I have a pre-republic Peterson 309 which I think is the same shape as your 313, only a little larger and it smokes fine for me, one of my favorites in fact.

I guess you could continue to experiment with it, or even take it to a local tobacco shop, if possible, to have them check it out for you to see if there is some not so obvious problem.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck. :puffy:

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I'll out myself here. I clench and I find that plips stemmed pipes are "harder" for me to keep lit then fishtail stems.
In fact. I have one fishtail system stem I swap with some of my plip systems.
I hate to say this, but for me some pipes are just hard to keep lit.
I have an 80+ year old Pete I got for a steal, that I just can't seem to get firing on all thrusters. I keep trying different packing methods and tobaccos but I just can't get this pipe to smoke "okay". I feel like I'm chasing it instead of being able to just sit there and smoke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.