PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
So far, I've tried Nat Sherman's Manhattan Twilight and Broadway Nougat; and Boswell's sweet tea and Christmas cookie. Sweet Tea is the one I like so far.

I just ordered Frog Morton's Cellar, Mississippi River and CandD Oak Alley and Autumn Evening. I can't wait to try them out. What do you guys think of these blends?

Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you are enjoying the aromatics, but you are stepping out into big tobacco tastes with the latakia blends. I am one of the few who just didn't take to latakia. I might suggest MacBaron's Vanilla Flake. It is light in the aromatic quality, but is a great way to jump into smoking flakes.

Either way, welcome.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Oak Alley is strong, if it is too much for you now, put it away in a well sealed mason jar and let it age. The rest are all good blends, FMC and Mississippi being two of my current favorites.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, I realize that the new ones I'm trying are different from the aromatics that I've smoked. I wanted to explore the other smokes out there. and thanks for the Advice on the Oak Alley. I will keep that in mind.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Welcome to the forum! Being the Son of the South I am, I'll have to try sweet tea out!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm only recently getting the hang of this here pipe smokin. Packing and pace, drying! beginning to experience the civilizing effect of the whole process of my lifelong involvement with Nicotine.

Don't know about you but I smoked cigarettes mostly. I have rolled my own for many years. Usually Drum, till the feds made it ridiculously expensive in my mind and motivated me to alternatives.

The great thing about smoking a pipe is that I've mellowed out my nicotine craving to the point that it's satisfied by puffing and the occasional reverse nasal pass...so it's much easier on the body.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Welcome to the forum, home of many facts, opinions, and general lunacy! I have smoked FM Cellar, and really like it, a fairly mild latakia blend with just a hint of sweetness, and of course bourbon. Autumn Evening I've bought twice as I smoke it quite a bit. Great maple smoke without being too strong a flavor. I like Mississippi River, but it doesn't like me too much. It's not supposed to be that strong with the nicotine, but it has messed me up a couple of times. I figure that's mostly me, as I don't tolerate nicotine very well.
I don't drink sweet tea too much, prefer it unsweetened for some reason, but being in the deep south, I figure I'll just have to try the Boswell's sweet tea.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Home guard. I just ordered more of the sweet tea. It is really nice with scotch whiskey.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks agnosticpipe! Your descriptions made me even more excited to try the new blends I ordered. I think they should arrive some time before my New Dr. Grabow arrives. So many new toys!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Honestly, I didn't think I would ever find an aromatic worth the time. I was wrong. The cool thing about pipes and pipe tobacco is discovery. I'm smoking a small cob of a blend I got along with a pipe on the auction site, called Tinder Box's Black Russian...I'd let some air dry for a few hours...and I've got to say that I am really enjoying the aroma, taste, and smoke-ability of this blend. It's a tad overwhelming right out of the bag, and I left it in a bowl to dry. It was a noticeable presence in the room even w/o burning!...I was not hopeful that something so pungent would be satisfactory...but I'm pleasantly surprised, and encouraged to look for even more of this genre.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I only smoke aromatics once in a while, but Autumn Evening is one that I always keep around. Trite though it may sound, I like it in the evening, when the weather starts to turn cool and it is feeling autumnal, fire in the fire pit . . . The maple aroma from the tin is intense, but the virginia tobacco flavor comes through the smoke and it is less maple-y (is that a word?) than you expect based on the tin aroma. And, everyone else will love the aroma when you are smoking it.
Frog Morton is great stuff. I prefer On the Town to Cellar, but Cellar seems to be the most popular of the blends. The Frog Morton blends are often touted as an introduction to latakia blends, sort of an "English" with training wheels. And, while there may be some truth to that, I smoke many latakia blends, most with more latakia than Frog, but still find room in my rotation for Frog and enjoy it thoroughly.
I hope that you like all of your new blends, and welcome.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Woooow! Frog Morton's Cellar is really good. It is smokey, tastes like liquid smoke and a campfire. It is totally worth getting out of my comfort zone. What a reward. The best part is it doesn't have that somewhat unpleasant sensation I get with the aromatics that I've smoked.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
My friend gave me a peter stockabye navy flake. It is the 1931 Erik peter's 4th generation blend. It has cavendish, burleys, and Virginias. I still can't really discern the different tobacco tastes but I do appreciate this tobacco. Nice taste. I just had a bowl with my morning coffee. It burned well and was really satisfying. Was that whiskey that I tasted in it? Or was that just left over from last night? Dunno. But it was good.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
My friend gave me a peter stockabye navy flake. It is the 1931 Erik peter's 4th generation blend. It has cavendish, burleys, and Virginias. I still can't really discern the different tobacco tastes but I do appreciate this tobacco. Nice taste. I just had a bowl with my morning coffee. It burned well and was really satisfying. Was that whiskey that I tasted in it? Or was that just left over from last night? Dunno. But it was good.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
The best part is it doesn't have that somewhat unpleasant sensation I get with the aromatics that I've smoked
@minfarshaw Forgive me, I am trolling older threads for tobacco recommendations and came across your post. You mentioned an unpleasant sensation. Would you care to elaborate? I am intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.