PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumweezer

Lurker
Mar 24, 2015
Hello, everyone!
Over the past year of pipe smoking, I've stuck to aromatics, but I would like to at least try an English. What would folks recommend as a good starting English blend?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Dunhill MM965 has some sweetness you might like from your aromatic background. John Cotton's No. 1 and GLP Westminster are tasty. If money is a concern Peter Stokkebye's Proper English which is sold by the ounce is very nice as well.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Any of the Frog Morton series, pease quiet nights or Chelsea morning are all good places to start.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Dunhills' My Mixture 965 is the English that all other English styled tobaccos are measured against, so that might be a good one to try. I also agree that Frog Morton can be less jarring for people who have never tried a tobacco with Latakia. I suggest that you buy a tin of each and possibly a tin of Dunhills' Early Morning Pipe as well. Good Luck!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
GL Pease Gaslight
C&D Buffalo Soldier
Dunhill Night Cap
Dunhill MM965
They those in that order.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Any of the Frog Morton series, pease quiet nights or Chelsea morning are all good places to start.
+1
But really, any English blend that sounds good is worth trying. Because exploring different blends and styles is half the fun.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
If you are placing an order and want to branch out maybe try a Virginia or VaPer as well. You may find that latakia doesn't do it for you. I'm not a fan of English but MM965 is probably the best of the ones I've tried.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I'd suggest Dunhill EMP and Sam Gawith Squadron Leader. Both are relatively modest and tasty...way better than any of the still pretty good Frog blends.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
A lot of guys like the Frogs,and they are probably a good starting point. If you have experience with flakes, SG Bothy Flake might ring your chimes.

As for Dunhill,I'd recommend MM Baby's Bottom for starting out. Nightcap is very full and pretty strong; not something I'd recommend to someone just starting out with latakia. I'd choose Standard over 965; I prefer my latakia blends with sweetness from the orientals or Virginias. Happy exploring. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Keep in mind that the best "English" tobaccos are now blended and sold by Americans! GLPease; Std. of PA; H+H; Wilke and Pipeworks, C+D. Dunhill is on the wane; the others are on the rise. Happy exploring indeed!

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have always thought it would be nice If blenders offered a "flight" of tobaccos. Something similar to a flight of 5 different beers in a bar. Maybe 1/2 an ounce of 5 GLP or C&D english blends for 15.00-20.00 US?
Then you could pick the ones that you enjoyed without spending 50.00-60.00.

Mar 1, 2014
I think jumping in with both feet is as good a strategy as anything, you'll either be a fan of the experience or you won't. A tin of Gaslight or a sample of Star of the East would be my first recommendations for trying a good, flavourful Lat-bomb.
But do get some Frog Morton's Cellar either way, it's a nice melding of flavours.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
P&C Has latakia samplers in both bulk and tin formats. Good start there. If you just wanna buy a tin of something I'd recommend Early Morning Pipe or Meat Pie as good, yet not heavy, entry points.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
You may try Sillem's Black. Not exactly an English blend however the main ingredient is Latakia and the aromatic Black Cavendish may keep you in your comfort zone.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Ashton's Artisan's Blend, which I like better that Dunhill's Nightcap, but I cannot become too attached as it contains the no longer produced Syrian Latakia. Sigh.

GL Pease's Charing Cross is a flavorful, mid-strength English which is under-represented in discussions about English/Balkan Blends (it is classified in Tobacco Reviews as a Balkan blend, more Oriental-fprward).

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
My first was glp's Lagonda... love it to this day!! Also at the top is glp's Quiet Nights... it has never failed to be beatific vision kind of smoke for me! And I know plenty of people who think it is equal to or better than the vaunted Esoterica blend that starts with P and rhymes with pens-dance. yuk yuk

Status
Not open for further replies.