PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm fortunate to live in a city with plenty of good tobacco shops. As I've conversed with the staff of some of these shops, I've been a tad disappointed to learn that many of their "house" bulk blends are actually just tobaccos that they got from Lane, McClelland, Dunhill, etc. and renamed after transferring them into a big jar. In response I've found myself drawn to the idea of local, independent blends that aren't available from the big online retailers... blends that truly are house blends. I'm really interested in tobaccos you can only get in certain cities or from specific blenders. What are some of the best tobacconists that at least blend their own tobacco mixtures, if not also manufacture/package them in onsite in their stores? Bonus points if you can recommend their signature blend. Here are a few I've come across in my research:
- L.J. Peretti (Boston, MA)

- Iwan Ries (Chicago, IL)

- J.M. Boswell (Chambersburg, PA)

- Tewksbury (Denver, CO)

- Uhle's (Milwaukee, WI)

- Smoker's Haven (Columbus, OH)

- The Country Squire (Jackson, MS)
What's missing from this list? Definitely interested in international spots as well. Thanks!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
4noggins (Rich Gotlieb)
While Greg Pease and Russ Oullette products are distributed internationally, they're both very much independent blenders.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Park Lane Tobacconist and Carole at P&W. I guess Max with Compton's has been chased out of it by Canadian regs. I mourn the loss of Chief Catoonah and Grant's.
hp

les

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
I guess Pipeworks & Wilke fits the bill...
http://www.vtpipes.com/tobacco.html
As for blends...No. 191 for an aromatic and a bunch of English blends such as High Hat, No. 10, No. 400 and No. 524.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
HU and Motzek fit the requirement. Schurch blends are made for them by Sam Gawith and G&H, which are now the same company. Some Century and Strauss blends are repackaged products.
Cortez: I probably should give Watch City #558 the full four stars. It's delicious.
I'd add #515, and Rumcake to the P&W list. The #515 is what Basil Rathbone smoked and I like it enough to have spent the money. P&W prices are high, but so is the quality of their blends.
GQ tobaccos are great and Glynn Quelch is a great blender.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Re Jinx's "Cortez: I probably should give Watch City #558 the full four stars. It's delicious." - but I really miss the predecessor #556. I'm hoarding my last 4 oz.
hp

les

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint, MI does dozens of blends all their own. The Arrowhead blend is an aromatic I can actually get behind. Their in house pipes smoke like a dream, too. McCrannie's in Charlotte has blends unique to them tinned by McClelland for them. They also have several in house blends. Old Master is a nice, mild burley blend I scooped up when I was there doing a trunkshow last week. Great shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.