PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Is anyone else watching True Detective Season 3? (NO SPOILERS!)
I just finished the first episode, it was very good. The last season wasn't nearly as good as the premier with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. They are both producers for this season. This one is also retold in different eras.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
The last season made me not want to watch another, but my interest was piqued lately by all the commercials. I might have to give the first episode at least a shot. The first season was fantastic, but the second season was just no where near as good, in my opinion.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@carolina - I agree on all counts. The first episode looks easily up to the task, a dark and ominous start (music also by T-bone Burnett, which works!)

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
We usually wait til all the episodes of a series are up before we watch any of them.
This one's next on the list.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
It’s gonna be a wham banger, I agree the 2nd episode was very bad, but story now has main character who is in movie Green Book, the pace is just right told to keep your interest. Thumbs up for 3rd season.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I'm digging it, so far. Obviously the first season was a stunning masterpiece. I believe they're retracing some of the tropes, because they worked so well for season one, for season three (missing kids, primitive wooden statues, time jumps, exploring lives through lifetimes, etc.). I think the reason that season two didn't do so well with the fans is they got a bit too artistic and abstract, giving us some super in-depth character studies with no where near as much meat in the story-line. I liked it, for what it was (A gritty LA noir with pretty colours), it just wasn't anywhere near as good as season one. Season two was like when musicians put out a super introspective concept album with a 15 minute droning intro and two tracks of complete silence. They obviously worked hard to try and show us something special, but failed because they forget that we like things to make just a little bit of sense and move at a reasonable pace, and most importantly that we like the story to be based around things that universally matter to us. But yeah, season three is looking like they've gotten back to that sublime combination of keeping us in the dark and keeping us interested.

I totally agree, first season was great, but the second sucked. I too look forward to watching this. I also used to read those True Detective magazine stories that this series is supposed to be emulating. Those old magazine stories had a lot more raunchiness and depravity, which the first series captured, sort of. Plus, I enjoyed seeing Matthew McConaughey... a'right a'right a'right...

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
And, yeah, T Bone Burnett is amazing, he has been filling this show with his signature delta juke joint atmosphere since day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.