PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I have a Canadian-the only such I own-which is the biggest PITA of all of my pipes because it's so prone to plugging up. If I didn't like the looks of it so much, I'd totally give up on it. Have always managed to get it unplugged with my usual combo of soaking inside of the bowl with alcohol, rinsing it out and much work with a straightened paper clip, (digging in bowl and going at it from stem side), and pipe cleaner. Recently got plugged up as usual and these tricks aren't getting it done. Anybody have ideas on the subject. Thanks much.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Aircraft drill bits. They are quite a bit linger than standard bits and come in a variety of diameters. You should be able to find the plug and be able to get aggressive with it if needed.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
Jack Hammer......? Paper clips have always worked for me in the past. How water to loosen it up and keep on picken at it !!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If you have a compressor, maybe try compressed air. Wear your safety glasses.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... 8O
jay-roger.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Do you have problems with all types of pipe cleaners or does this simply plug up regardless? Sounds like maybe the airway was drilled smaller than what you’re used to and you should be able to open it with an aircraft drill bit as has been mentioned. I would have a couple of your best smoking pipes with you when you go looking for a bit and using the shaft end to determine what size your best smoking pipes are, then take it slowly opening up,your Canadian, best of luck.

banjo

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Thanks folks-may have to try the drill bit as a last resort if my usual tricks don't work. I can just see me drilling clear through the other side of the bowl. 8O

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I just got an estate billard that had a terrible draw. After cleaning did nothing I put a drill bit through that was slightly smaller diameter than the stem. It pulled out a ton of fluffies from pipe cleaners that had accumulated and become matted against the walls over time. Smokes like a champ now.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would suggest running very hot tap water through the pipe via the bowl whilst vigorously ramming a bristled pipe cleaner in and out of the shank end.
If that fails then go for the aforementioned long drill bit but remember to set the drill at its lowest speed and work it in gently, withdrawing the drill bit often so as any gunk will fall out.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good suggestions on unplugging your Canadian. That is especially aggravating because Canadians are a straight shape that should take a pipe cleaner without a hitch. I love their looks; I call them the stateliest shape. Bore that baby out and get it smoking with your best. I really like my three Canadians and always pack them with high expectations.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Given the length of a Canadian, would have to buy a long bit as the ones I have now wouldn't come close to reaching all the way down the stem. Think I'll try Jay's suggestion of hot water first, however.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I don't recommend chucking the bit in a drill. I just use it by hand."
Btp79, just so long as a slow speed is used in a drill and with minimum force, the drill bit will naturally follow the original drilling......slow and steady is the way. It does work, I've done it several times myself with no problems.
Regards,
Jay.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am an adept of using the right tool for the right job. Having a similar problem, I bought this little buzzer, and it works like a charm. Not that expensive either:
20180324_124928.jpg

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Yep. A Senior Reamer with the removable bit is the way to go for most pipes but may not be long enough for a Canadian. I've got some ridiculous long Canadians.

An extended 5/32" bit chucked in a tap handle works well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.