PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
From Russ Ouellette: "Fans of Troost had better stock up. We've received word that it is being discontinued."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's probably not good news, when a longstanding blend goes under. What did Troost fans like about it? What is most similar on the market? Is there an existing match? Or might there be?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sutliff does make a Match of Troost Aromatic. It's pretty decent. Here's my review of it:
The gold cavendish has citrus and honey bread notes with a touch of grass. The topping is mild butterscotch and caramel sweet, and mildly fruity. As cavendish tends to burn hot if puffed fast, you may consider sipping it, though it really doesn’t need to be babied much. The original has a little deeper flavor, but it’s bitey if you puff very fast, and can lose just a little of its flavor when that happens. The latter two observations are not true of the Match, which is much smoother, will not bite, and is fairly close in taste to the original. The flavor doesn't weaken near the finish or if you puff beyond a moderate pace, which can happen to the original, especially if the tobacco is dry. The course cut of the tobacco is the same. This is an all day mild product that burns well and even with hardly any moisture at the bottom.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The match sounds quite good, if not improvement, to my tastes. Still, I don't like to see old standards go away.

Reactions: durham270

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like the original, but I like the Match a little better. And yeah, I hate to see a long time product go away. I hope more don't follow.

Reactions: BROBS

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Van Rossem's Troost is currently manufactured by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group, and they own the trademark.
Is this tobacco brand being discontinued outright, or will it simply no longer be offered for sale in the United States?

Reactions: BROBS

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hunter: all I know is what Russ wrote. My take is that it's discontinued.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I smoked a lot of Troost back when I was in college - the Special Cavendish, not the Aro. I revisited it a few years ago; not bad, but nothing worth getting excited over. Never tried the Slices, which get the best reviews. :puffy:

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
On occasion I've enjoyed Troost Special but it does need slow puffing as it can bite pretty harshly. I used to smoke a lot of it in the 80s but the current blend never lived up to the Troost of old; at least not for me. I never cared much for the aromatic - a bit artificial and bitter to my tastes. I did try the slices and found them to be identical in tin note and taste to the aromatic version in a pouch, and after 3 tins never reordered. I did manage to get a very old tin of the slices from pipestud a while back and it was an entirely different animal from the current formulation as it was more chocolaty in taste and very good. About 2 years ago I scored 6 unopened, wrapped in cellophane pouches of Troost Special Cavendish off of ebay. They were from the 1970s. I opened one and found it to be sublime. Very tasty and not as much bite as the current. It was more like what I remembered from the 80s. All in all, having smoked the original Von Rosem produced Troost, I'm not all that upset that the STG version will be no more.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ive gotten away from Troost and pouches smoking more flakes lately however it is on my list of fav pouches early on.

I just ordered 5 pouches.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Early on in my pipe smoking, a lot of the guys on a long since gone forum I used to hang out on loved Troost. Since then it seems I never even saw the name come up anymore. I never cared for it but it is disappointing to see a classic go.

Status
Not open for further replies.