PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Troost is pretty darn good! This mild to medium strength baccy is nicely sweet and to me there is no topping evident; if its there, there is no unpleasant aftertaste that I find with many topped blends. I really like the taste, but even more is the seemingly naturally sweet aroma which reminds me of caramelized sugar. The tobacco needed just a little drying time and then it packed and burned just fine. The price of this pouch was very reasonable and I try to keep a pouch around to intermingle with the smoking of my favorite English/Balkan blends.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Ah Troost. Fifty years ago plus Troost "Slices," I believe it was, was the only blend I couldn't finish the first bowl. It was cloyingly sweet to my palate. Perhaps it has changed or this is a different blend?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Trailboss: I did smoke the Troost Aromatic Cavendish you sent and the Match version. Here are my reviews of both:
Troost AC:

The gold cavendish is honey and citrusy sweet. The topping is like a mild butterscotch. Burns well and fairly even with few relights for a course cut. It's a pleasant enough fairly one dimensional all day smoke, but I can only give it two stars because if you puff at even a moderate rate, you can experience tongue bite. It does leave a nice after taste.
Troost AC Match:

The gold cavendish has citrus and honey bread notes with a touch of grass. The topping is mild butterscotch and caramel sweet, and mildly fruity. As cavendish tends to burn hot if puffed fast, you may consider sipping it, though it really doesn’t need to be babied much. The original has a little deeper flavor, but it’s bitey if you puff very fast, and can lose just a little of its flavor when that happens. The latter two observations are not true of the Match, which is much smoother, will not bite, and is fairly close in taste to the original. The flavor doesn't weaken near the finish or if you puff beyond a moderate pace, which can happen to the original, especially if the tobacco is dry. The course cut of the tobacco is the same. This is an all day mild product that burns well and even with hardly any moisture at the bottom.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
I'm sorry, I did not specify exactly, but the version of Troost I was reviewing was the non-aromatic version. Since it was mentioned, there was a little bit of bite at the beginning of the bowl. I got a 5 pouch supply from JR's about 2 years ago, the price may have gone up since then.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Percocet? Lets here a review of that blend.
Might go like this?
The nice rounded shape of this combination medication appeals not only to the eye but also the palate as it goes down smoothly with just a few sips of water. The 325mg of acetaminophen mix well with the 5 mg of oxycodone to produce a slight euphoria (which I didn't mind since I've felt this before in blends such as this) but the pain killing effect was much appreciated approximately 45 minutes later. Be careful as this one might bite you since its pretty high in Vitamin O. This comes in a beautiful amber plastic bottle which was even personalized with my name on it and offered instructions on how to utilize this mixture in the most efficacious manner possible!! I've tried Alleve, aspirin, Advil and none produced the fine effect this Oxy and Tylenol had on me! Price was reasonable with my copay and this can be found behind the shelf at most corner drug stores. I'll make sure to keep this in my rotation for as long as prescribed. A definite 4 stars out of 4 stars experience. BTW, the generic offers the same wonderful effects as the name brand so you can't go wrong there...buy in bulk!

Status
Not open for further replies.