Nice Estate Pipe and Tobacciana Haul (Pic)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Evening gang. Finally, another nice haul from Kijiji. Responded to an add from a bloke who was selling off his 91 year old Father-in-Law's collection. Apparently the gent was moving into assisted living and was no longer able to enjoy his second favourite past-time (his first netted him $11k when he sold off his long guns). Well, I struck with a hot iron and am chuffed with the results.
The Spend: $100
The Haul:

Pipes are:

- 1 Brigham Patent Canadian

- 3 Brigham Sportsman (Cherrywood, Full Bent Pot, 1/4 Bent Dublin)

- 1 Brigham 1/4 Bent Dublin

- 1 Hardcastle Drawel Billiard

- 1 Unknown Lovat

- 1 Dr. Plumb Nosewarmer

- 1 Trypis Oom Paul

- 1 Danish Quality (Stanwell sub brand) 1/4 Bent Dublin

- 4 MM Cobs

- 1 Falcon w 4 Bowls
+ All the tobacciana you see in the picture. I can't wait to get these pipes cleaned up. Love the rests, vintage pipe tools and tobacco pouches, humidor and Edgeworth Promo packs of pipecleaners.
I'll post pics as the pipes are restored.
Have a lovely evening.
-- Pat

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Pat
You did well
Your work is cut out for you and good thing winter s coming...this haul will keep you very busy :)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Your work is cut out for you and good thing winter s coming...this haul will keep you very busy :)
You said it Allan! I have to admit to feeling a little pressure to get right on this... I'd like to have some of these pipes cleaned up for the GTA Piper's Burner & Swap Meet on Saturday. But I think that might be pushing it. Regardless, it will be fun to clean these old friends up.
I think I'll also strip, sand and treat the stand and humidor top with tung oil.
-- Pat

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Pat- I'd be highly interested to see if you'd like to get rid of that nosewarmer- I'd like to get one for my brother as a present.....he saw one on a movie and has been obsessed with them. Could make a cool Xmas gift for him....thoughts? Message me if you'd lke.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks gents.
It's fun to pick up a lot like this, and just keep finding stuff. It may be silly, but one of my favourite pieces is the stainless steel Savinelli pipe tool. It has great weight, folds up nice and small, and has a pyramidal tamper.
-- Pat

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
There oughtta be a law against guys like you. Do you wear green elf shoes and a shamrock printed shirt?

:rofl:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Gents, just a quick addendum. I had a couple folks flip me PMs concerned that I might have, somehow, taken advantage of a pipe-brother's condition to get a deal.
Please know that this is something that I'd never do.
I responded to a want-ad on kijiji (like Craigslist) which listed all these items and a price of $100.00. I offered full pop if the collection matched the ad and condition posted. I got the back story from the son-in-law when we met to complete the transaction. I was clear that I buy, clean up, and move along estate pipes. The seller remarked that his father-in-law would be thrilled to know that his pipes were getting a new life. I'm going to email the seller the pictures of the pipes once I've cleaned them up so he can share them with is pop-in-law who can see them all gussied up.
I don't mind haggling with antique shop owners, and participating in online auctions, but when a deal is as good as it looks I'm always going to jump at the asking price. I think that this, along with a free sharing of information and opinion, as well as sending pipes back into the world after restoration, is part of the pipe-karmic cycle. Which perhaps partially addresses Boudreaux's question about luck.
Have a good day friends.
-- Pat

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats Pat - you done good. Those pipes look to be in good shape, and I like those pipe holders too.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I know you would never take advantage, fair price as there is a lot of work to do there to get them back into working order. Good on you sir! Talk to you later.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pat, you bringing any of those Brigham's this weekend, or perhaps a Falcon Bowl?
You need an extra bowl for your Falcon? Done and done. I'll clean up one of those for you and have it for you Saturday. I'm hoping to have some of the other pipes cleaned up in time for the swap meet, but I'll also bring some of the ephemera to trade with.
-- Pat

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great haul and no you did not take advantage. If you had told the guy you only wanted to pay 20.00 and that you needed to sell the pipes for an operation for your child, then that would be considered taking advantage. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.