PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
First of all, let me say i have nothing to do with and have no affiliation with this seller or these listings. I stumbled across these beauties while doing my daily paroosing around ebay and thought they were really good looking and fair priced pipes. Capping it off with yesterday's new Jake Hackert splurge, my PAD has reached 14th Century Black Plague epidemic levels, so i am tapped out on new pipe purchases, otherwise i would jump on one of these in a second...and then tell y'all about them, lol. I'll post links to a few of them. There is a description about how the LB line came about and a little bit of the history behind it, so i won't bother to explain it here.
Anyways, if you are feeling the PAD itch and are in the market for a new pipe, these certainly look like a great value for around $200. Plus, anything that Trevor Talbert puts his name on i would trust to be of pretty damn good quality, as the sandblasting and smooth finish on one certainly shows on these briar babies. They also have horn stems (except for the smooth pipe, which has very good cross grain and birdseye), which along with the blasting would probably make me pull the trigger right away, as i do not own nor have i ever smoked a horn-stemmed pipe. Hopefully, someone can benefit from this post and score a nice new pipe. If one of you does, let us know how she looks and smokes and give us your thoughts. Hope everyone is having a wonderful week, i know i am looking forward to this coming 3 day weekend (here in the U.S., at least). An early Happy Memorial Day and a HUGE THANK YOU to all those past and present who serve and have served in the military of this great nation we live in!!!
Cheers,

Corey
Links:
1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoke-Trever-Talbert-Ligne-Bretagne-Sandblasted-Billiard-Unstained-/151308474397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233ab0181d
2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoked-Trever-Talbert-Ligne-Bretagne-Sandblasted-Billiard-/151308457810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233aafd752
3) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoked-Trever-Talbert-Ligne-Bretagne-Sandblasted-Billiard-Tapered-Smooth-Rim-/151308482607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233ab0382f
4) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoked-Trevor-Talbert-Ligne-Bretagne-Smooth-Grain-Billiard-/151308466724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233aaffa24
5) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoked-Trever-Talbert-Ligne-Bretagne-Sandblasted-Apple-Pipe-with-Horn-Stem-/151302877134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233a5aafce

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
This guy has some pretty sweet pipes for sale! I want that horn stem so bad but I already bought 2 pipes this month. Plus I'm saving up for my first commission :D
Dude, you should just buy ALL of them!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nice pipes if you don't mind paying 20% over retail. I have several Ligne Bretagne pipes and can truly say that they are excellent smokers.
If you don't want to be scalped, sign up on Talbert's site for announcements, but be ready to pounce in seconds or they will be gone.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Hahahaha, @fadingdaylight, look at my comment on my castello thread i just posted, you have no idea how bad i have been this month.....7 pipe purchases(Not inluding TAD purchases). Do i regret any of them?....NOPE! Am i an idiot who seriously lacks self-control and becomes obsessive about things i get into?...YEP! I just want to share the love(or spread the disease, whichever you prefer) and see others acquire great pipes at a great price. I've received great info on current deals by others, so i thought i would return the favor! Make sure you post a review/pics when you pull that trigger, fadingdaylight!
@Jeremy, that's awesome bro, but why don't you do the obvious thing here and DO BOTH!!! Come on brother, Monday is Memorial Day and you certainly deserve it. Who are you thinking about commissioning a pipe from?
I apologize, i realize i am a bad influence. Wait, nevermind, i take that back...we are ALL bad influences!!! hahaha. :rofl:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Sable, thanks for the info, much appreciated as an alternative. The argument remains though, wait until you get a notification and hope you click "add to cart" before others do first and save some $$$$. Or, eat the 20% mark-up and have 5 to choose from, guaranteed from a good ebay seller.
I might just take your advice though Sable, as i love Talbert's work and could definitely see myself acquiring something from him in the future. Thanks again for the info.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
They are nice little smokers. I wish not to pay that much over Trevor's price. I hit his site a couple of times a day, because they go up before he sends the email. I've been lucky enough to grab a couple.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I've been doing some poking around and I've found A LOT of great carvers from all over the world via Facebook, Instagram, Etsy, and others. You'd be surprised how much undiscovered talent is out there. So far there are 3 carvers that I've been considering; Walt Cannoy, Steve Morrisette, and a German carver named Colja who makes some awesome Morta pipes. I'll probably be making an inquiry late next month.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Don't forget about Mark Tinsky, that was my last commission and i would highly recommend him, very good value for what you get. That is funny about Colji, as i follow him on ebay and watch a lot of his pipes (without the 9mm filters, hate them), especially the Mortas. He makes some damn fine looking pipes.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Lol yea, I know how you feel about filters. They're not bad if you just say screw it and curl up a pipe cleaner. Works great for me!
I love me some Tinsky pipes! I've already been considering him as well.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I am a huge fan of the Ligne Bretagne line but it's highly suspect that he intentionally does not photograph or mention the grades as Trevor grades each of these. It's too bad because that unstained billiard with the horn stem is calling me.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Yep Coffeeman, in other hobbies we call them flippers and consider them scum. They take fast selling goods from real enthusiasts and put money that could have gone to the maker in their own pocket. They are leaches and can be found where ever there is popularity and profit.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Sorry, I should clarify. That isn't directed at anyone running a store, b&m or online. Only at people buying fast selling goods at retail only to overcharge once the item is sold out.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Wow, i stand corrected. I did not know any of this information about the normal prices on Trevor's website and this seller's buying and reselling habits, i appreciate all the updates. Now it makes sense though, bc i was looking through all his items for sale, and the majority of them were new and the price he was asking about the ones i KNEW the retail price or around what they go for seemed a bit higher. I just thought they were very nice looking pipes and since i am tapped out, figured i'd give others a chance to pick one up. In this case, i still stand by what i said above, if i really liked one of this line of pipes, but they sold out in minutes and were hard to come by, i could hypothetically see paying the extra 20% to guarantee you are getting one. I don't think i would ever want a pipe that bad and i refuse to overpay, especially to a scalper, but i can see that side of it. The seller could also just say "caveat emptor", as it is up to the consumer to do the research. I think it is dirty though, regardless, but there is two sides to every coin.
I bought a Jake Hackert pipe yesterday off ebay...from Jake. Now anyone who is educated on his pipes knows that they sell out almost immediately as soon as he puts them up on his ebay account. I wanted one for a while but every time one came up, by the time i made up my mind to purchase (which was in a matter of minutes) it was too late and already sold. I did not want to make any more pipe purchases for a while, but it just so happened that Jake posted 3 pipes up at the right time. I scored this time and bought a large billiard from him, much to my immediate feeling of excitement/regret at the same time. This is an unusual and more rare shape for him as he usually does pokers, pots and othe chubby short style pipes. This eased my regret some, as i feel i am getting a unique pipe that is not the norm for Jake, and that's pretty cool, i think. Anyways, before i went off on that tangent, i was looking at a bunch of the completed sales for Jake's pipes in the past few months and came across this seller who (simply speculating, not positive he was the original buyer) was selling a Hackert poker unsmoked with a starting bid of $299.00. The exact same pipe sold back in mid March for $175.00. Now this is completely legal and the guy/girl could have bought it with honest intentions of smoking it but stuff got in the way and now he needed money for something important. But if the person is just trying to buy, wait a while, then sell for near double the price, i think that is wrong. It is just my opinion though, others may feel different and that's ok, but Jake keeps his prices reasonable and certainly does not overcharge for how well they are made. I'm sure he knows he could charge more, but he wants to keep them affordable for the average smoker. That right there is a very cool thing to do and i commend him for that.
Can't wait to get that Hackert though, I'll post pics and whatnot when it comes in!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I am wondering how this seller can get those pipes before we can. I have been trying to snag a Ligne Britagne for months, but they are always sold before I can open my email.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I am wondering how this seller can get those pipes before we can. I have been trying to snag a Ligne Britagne for months, but they are always sold before I can open my email.
Smart phone alerts. It's how I got mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.