Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
13c77774.jpg

Three awesome pipes! Starting from the back-to-front:

1932 Kaywoodie Drinkless Dublin

1928 Kaywoodie Drinkless Billiard

Adorable little pipe needing love.
Lonestar dated the Kaywoodies for me, so I trust the dates.

jar15a1

Might Stick Around
Aug 13, 2011
Those pipes look great for being that old. Something like that is on my want-list. Congratulations on the new additions.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Awesome man, glad they finally arrived.

I was going with info based on some similar pipes for sale by "Valitchka" on Ebay, but cant seem to find the auctions. He seems to have a thing for old Kaywoodies and a lot of knowledge too.

The thing that really narrows it down is the "Synchrostem Pat. App. For" stamp.

The synchrostem patent was granted in 1931, so its earlier than that.

The Algerian Briar stamp was used only in the 1920's (according to Valitchka) so that stamp means its 20's.

The synchrostem patent was applied for in 1928, so put the two together for a likely 1928-1929, but definitely 1928-1931.

The second one doesnt have enough stamps to narrow it down as precisely, but the KBB inside a clover leaf stamp was dropped when Kaywoodie left their factory in Union City NJ in 1933, so its earlier than that.

Enjoy them. I didnt smoke either one, but they seem like damn fine pipes to me !

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
In my little "sales pitch", I said I could understand the comparison of early Kaywoodies to early Dunhills. That wasn't bullshit!

Flawless briar, incredibly light, impeccable design, really balanced and well engineered.

The 4 hole stinger on those seems much better than the modern ones too.

If I was smart, I would have kept one of the two but I'm glad you got the pair. I probably wouldn't have smoked it often and I get the feeling you'll be enjoying the heck out of them both.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
No kidding, lonestar, the pair are easily the nicest pipes I own now, I'm thinking that I might start collecting these early Kaywoodies, you're sure right about the stinger as well. Only complaint is, I'm scared to clench em for fear of damage.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I personally like the little Chubby no name pipe. Kaywoodies are good smokes - I have 1/2 dozen - but I am not a big fan of the stingers in them. Why? They collect too much juice and are kind of a pain to clean. You have to run a small pipe cleaner into the stinger and hopefully you can pull it through to thoroughly clean the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.