Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hey guys,
Quick question for anyone who has actually tried this blend.

On tobaccoreviews.com I looked this blend up, Samuel Gawith Brown n°4. In its type it says "cigar leaf based", but in its content description, no cigar leaf ...

Any ideas?

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Entries are editable by anyone... maybe a mistake - although... this blend does have some cigar-like flavors...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Wikipedia tends to be wrong and ideologically-biased. While your comparison is apt, TR is a lot better!
Regarding the cigar leaf, no but yes.
It is not cigar leaf per se, but as it is cured and smokes, it smells and tastes like there is some in the blend.
However, not to the degree that you would think, "This is a cigar-leaf blend."
Brown No. 4 is entirely its own animal. Great stuff, highly recommended. The trick in my experience is cutting thin coins, rubbing out, and then giving the leaf a few moments on the table to dry out just a little. But just a little.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Wikipedia is the dark side of the internet. Inaccuracies and plagiarism abound there. I'm hardly the only victim of the latter.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried this blend, but I've smoked other cigar leaf blends like Billy Budd, which is fulsome and robust, but doesn't taste like a cigar to me. If you are curious about cigar leaf in a pipe, go straight to the source and buy some C&D Cigar Leaf and try it. You can also mix it with other blends, but it is informative to smoke it as a single leaf. Is it like smoking a cigar? Not really. A cigar is an engineered object that delivers the smoke in a certain way, often with a lot of control and blending, with wrapper leaf and other constituent tobacco. However, in a pipe, cigar leaf does give a strong cigar-like flavor and leaves the same aftertaste, in a good way, that you get with many cigars. It's really a pretty good smoke, strong if you like that, but not overbearing nor harsh. Pretty good stuff, and one or two ounces will spare you the quest after cigar flavors in many and various blends, most of which give only a hint, or none, of cigar taste. If you want a cigar, buy a cigar, but cigar leaf makes a pretty good pipe tobacco too.

Status
Not open for further replies.