Traveling to Paris, Amsterdam and Dusseldorf... any pipes I should check out?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd definitely check out the pipes of each respective nation -- the variety of excellent French pipes in France; the Big Ben in Holland; and German pipes there. Especially with the Euro low right now, you might pick up some real bargains. I suspect the best variety and savings would be in France, since they tend to have excellent prices for the product over here.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
A particular brand or type I'm not sure, but in Paris beside the Louvre is A La Civette which is basically the main store in the city. Has a good selection of most major brands, including some French brands(Chacom/Boutz Chouquin). Price wise, they are comparable to Canada if you convert. A tin of tobacco is about 11-15 Euro and my Sav 320 was 110 Euro.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
Was just in Paris a couple of weeks ago. Here are my top pipe-related picks:
• Au Caïd, 12 rue de la Sorbonne, 75005 Paris. This shop's original location was on the Boulevard St. Michel. The new location is smaller but equally nice. The owner, Didier, is a true gentleman who always takes time to chat about pipes with me on my rare visits. He knows pipes extraordinarily well and offers some superb pieces for sale. Check the website (http://aucaid.fr/) if you're planning your trip soon: Au Caïd will close for a few weeks during the summer holidays (afraid I don't remember what the sign said when I was there).

• A la Pipe du Nord, 21 Boulevard de Magenta, 75101 Paris (www.alapipedunord.com/). This shop is also terrific: It offers a broad price range and is owned by Mr. Voisin, also a pipe maker and true expert. I scored a beautiful St. Claude rusticated Canadian Billiard there for 71 euro: I can't tell you how thrilled I am with the pipe or with the outstanding welcome I was offered at the shop. Mr. Voisin was working in his workshop while his counter person (a knowledgeable young woman called something like Marie-Aurélie) helped me out and sold me my new pipe. EXCELLENT prices on pipes. I can't recommend this place highly enough, either. Again, see if you can find out if/when the shop will be closed for vacation if you plan to go in July or August.

• A la Civette, 157 rue Saint Honoré, 75001 Paris. Unlike Au Caïd and A la Pipe du Nord, this is both a tabac (tobacco shop) and a seller of pipes and cigars. An upmarket location around the corner from the Louvre and across from the Palais Royal. I was pleasantly surprised at the range of prices (some pretty affordable) - on pipes and tobaccos. This is probably the best shop in Paris if you're looking for pipe tobacco: Few tabacs carry more than a handful of mass-market blends (it's actually pretty hard to find a decent variety of pipe tobacco anywhere in France).

• A l'Orientale, 22 Galerie de Chartres, 75001 Paris. This shop is a two-minute walk into the Palais Royal gardens from A la Civette. If you like nosing around dusty, disorderly, but very interesting antiques shops, you might like this one-woman operation, too. The place is filled floor-to-ceiling with all kinds of things, including new and estate pipes. The proprietress barely has any room to sit in her back closet (visitors will have a hard time even turning around in this shop ;) ). I spotted some potentially interesting pipe finds here but unfortunately didn't have too much time to look around or chat. The lady was pretty eager to tell me about her pipes. I was a little surprised that she pretty much insisted on speaking English, even though we started our conversation in French. Could be a fun visit if the shop's open.
Hope you enjoy your visit - maybe you can report back. Cheers, John

Status
Not open for further replies.