Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Hello, all!
I've got a trip coming up next month - a cruise, actually, leaving from New Orleans and hitting Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth in Jamaica, then returning to NOLA. We're traveling with another couple, one of whom is the very fellow who inspired me to take up pipe smoking after he started in November! So we're both thinking of taking piperl12's advice about purchasing a memento pipe while we're out and about. I'm also thinking about picking up some introductory Perique blends, but that's another story. :)
So - any recommendations? We're focusing on New Orleans at this point - most of the tobacco stores I've found in the Caribbean tourist ports are cigar-centric (and we know that we'll be restricted to one lounge on the ship - but it's a Steampunk cruise, and there are already plans to invade said lounge for brandy and tobacco most nights... :D). I've cruised the older threads and found some references to long-gone B&Ms, but there is a place just outside of the French Quarter that looks promising (Payless Pipes). Other than that, it's cigar stores and a Tinderbox up north a ways.
Anyway - thanks in advance, and thanks for all of your previous posts about NOLA, Perique, and MM cob pipes (I've already promised my friend a couple left over from my grab bag). :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have no advice in terms of Pipe places, but I do recommend that you hit Mothers for a fried oyster or shrimp Po Boy, heaven on earth. Also the jazz brunch at the Court of Two Sisters is incredible and Cafe Du Monde for coffee and beignets is not to be missed. Hope you have a great time, Nawlins is one of my favorite places to visit.

Dec 24, 2012
Have never been to Mothers, but I second the brunch recommendation. Have very fond memories of my trip there.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Tinderbox in Metairre is great for pipes. Payless is really an intenet storefront.
What is your sail date out of NOLA??

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Central Grocery for the best Muffalatta, some people say the service is rude, Nepolan house for gumbo and jambalaya, Central Grocery I believe is on Chartes st, Acme house for oysters, lots of nice little hole in the walls restaurants on Magazine st , stay in the crowd area do not venture out it still is a dangerous place, I carry whenever I go there, spent 3 years in NO for a trial, going back and forth from Chalmette, be safe. The old cajun

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Payless Pipes is not set up for instore smoking, lounging. It is basically a storage facility as they run an internet based business. That being said I stopped in twice on my last visit and had no problem browsing and purchasing pipes/tobacco. They have a sister cigar shop downstairs that is retail oriented. Not sure if they have a lounge but it's a good spot for stogies.... Have fun!
P.S. You said you are taking a "Steampunk" oriented cruise...... if you meet someone by the name of Uncle Arthur tell him hi friends at PM.com say "Hello"!!! (It's an inside joke that only the older members here will get!!! 8O )

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for all of the info! We board on the 16th, but we've extended our travel a couple of days on either end so that we'll have some time to explore NOLA (carefully - thanks for the warning about keeping to the beaten path, Brad!). Beignets and Aunt Sally's pralines are on my list of things to find, and we're currently checking the calendar for events to either attend or avoid during our stay (St. Patrick's Day festivities, for example... or the music festival happening the following weekend).
We're definitely excited - I've had co-workers at two different jobs who attended the annual jazz festival almost religiously, so I've heard a lot of stories, but this will be our first time actually being there.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The Tobacco Exchange on Exchange Place in the French Quarter is pipe friendly, and an indoor smoking area as well as outdoor tables. I have been there a couple of times. It is about 2 blocks off Bourbon, cross street is Iberville or Bienville.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
The 16th is also our sail date !! How about that ?
We are arriving a day early for our festive tour of usual stops.
Look for me on the boat on the starboard / smoking side. I look like my avatar / picture.
We have untill then to discuss tobaccy trades, etc

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Setting up a Google map now with notes...
And yes, I recognized Uncle Arthur from a completely different forum (on which, sadly, he's also been absent lately. :( ).
Thanks again, all!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Definitely stop by Payless and talk to Ed--they're one of the best mom & pops south of the Manson-Nixon line. He'll set you up with a pipe and great recommendations for what to fill it with. Shoot him an email before you go and set something up--info@paylesspipes. And +1 for the Tinderbox in Metairie.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
patiobum - Ah, cool! Will you be on the Navigator of the Seas? I'll be wearing a kilt most of the time, so I shouldn't be too hard to spot, even among the Steampunks... 8)

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Bah, if you see Uncle Arthur on that cruise a jolly “Hello” is the last thing he deserves! I will stop at that before I say something that will undoubtedly upset too many people on this board.
Enjoy your trip! Will Abney Park be the featured entertainment on the Lido Deck? I’m hoping to get back to New Orleans again in the fall. It will be good to have a list of a few tobacco friendly places to check out, but I will be pretty busy eating and drinking and may not have as much time for that as I would like.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
I love New Orleans go to mothers. As far as tobacco they have a a cigar place where they roll their own that is good there is two shops, one is in the French quarter actually kinda near where all the hotels are I forget the names an where the other one is.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
@Brewshooter - Ah. Yeah, I'd gotten the impression some bridges had been burned. I'll likewise leave it there.
As for the entertainment, Captain Robert of Abney Park will be in attendance on his own - but Unwoman will be doing several performances, and they've just announced that This Way to the Egress will be taking over the spot that Helblinki Sextet had to abandon. We shall see what other hijinks ensue... :puffpipe:

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
+1 Acme House and I have to add The Bourbon House, -1,000 for anything else on Bourbon, or just off of it. Spend your time in the French Quarter. Lots of the open market vendors are willing to negotiate their prices. The Bourbon house is great. If you go there get a Frozen Bourbon Milk Punch. Best drink I think I have ever had and I have never even had anything similar since.
Definitely stick to the well populated places.
Aunt Sally's pralines are great. I went to college with one of the owners sons and he would always bring back several boxes. Cafe Du Monde is always great but the Coffee has Chicory and can kick some peoples ass, it did mine the first few times, but I am a coffee weakling.
I have a lot of family in Slidell, LA. Just across the lake from NO and went to college in Louisiana. I have spent countless nights on Bourbon and can't remember one that I didn't leave thinking I could have spent that time somewhere else.
I have to say, in the years I have been going to NO I had no idea there was a Tinderbox there. I will have to hit it up next time I am there.
Have fun on your cruise. Last tip, if you have to park a car pay the extra money to park in a better garage. I have heard to many horror stories of people not wanting to spend the money and coming back wishing they had.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
eaglerico, I'm going to have to try The Bourbon House. I agree about Bourbon Street in general. I don't mind walking through it, but don't tend to spend much time there. Other than Acme Oyster House, not actually on Bourbon I know, and Galatoire's down at the one end toward Canal, I don't really visit many establishments and tend to stick to Royal or Chartres. I do like the piano bar at Pat O'Briens, but, I haven't been back since Katrina and remember the place with Mr. Eddie playing those thimbles on that tray. I worry it's going to be different when I go back in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.