PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
Just curious. When you travel for an extended period how do you carry your tobacco?
As a cigar enthusiast I have a couple of plastic pelican cases for my travel humidors. I assume they would work just as we'll for pipe tobacco, just kept at a lower humidity. Is it ok to package the pipe tobacco in separate ziploc bags and then in a pelican case?
For a second question, I have heard that the cedar in a regular cigar humidor is not good for pipe tobacco, is there a wood that is fine like a hard wood?

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
That's what I was figuring. I have a decent size pelican case that I could set up to carry my tobacco in sealed ziplocks plus a couple of pipes in the foam insert.
There is also a guy who takes ammo boxes and turns them into humidors for the field. His brand name is Combat Humidor. I was thinking I could do something similar but with a hardwood lining to create individually sealed compartments for a couple of different blends.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I'd use large zip-loc freezer bags for bulk tobacco until you get to your deployment site,

then jars. Leave tinned tobacco's in the tin.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
long ago someone put me on to using Nalgene 32oz Wide Mouth bottles for cigars. They work just a well for pipe tobacco. zip-lock and then side them in. crush proof, easy to pack. one of those nickel dish stuck inside the lid is all you need. (and maybe too much)
4113btb-EYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

wlfwalleye

Lurker
Jul 2, 2011
If you have any empty cigar tubos you can fill them up with the tobacco and then place the tubos in

the pelican case.

Status
Not open for further replies.